Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Windows 1809 update screwing with Revit

  1. #31
    New Member
    Join Date
    December 17, 2019
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    11:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    So, are you testing with Win 7 and Win 10 on the same machines, or on similar machines?
    I mean it could be an issue with one of the machines hardware too.
    we have multiple of the same workstation, and i have tested multiple machines, to exclude any hardware fault on the test machine.

  2. #32
    Moderator Robin Deurloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Holland
    Posts
    1,511
    Current Local Time
    11:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    mmm, weird. Well I had no clue with my own machine and even less with yours.

    Another question, are those win 10 installs from a deployments of installed from some media (USB). Meaning maybe something in the deployment is off?

    If you go to Autodesk with this issue they will be asking all sorts of data from you from some sort of tool they have. I did that a couple of times but they kept asking more data, taking me hours each time to gather, so eventually I stopped doing that and decided just to stay on the old version of Win 10.

  3. #33
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,790
    Current Local Time
    04:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So, its something gone wrong with your machine or some software on your machine DURING the update process.

    All of my machines are on 1809, and they all run perfectly. But i have several clients who have had machines totally wrecked (in Revit) after the 1809 update. Reimaging them WITH 1809, and then reinstalling everything, solves the issue, for those.

    Not ideal, obviously. But since we dont know whats causing it, and rebuilding a machine from a bare image is just a few hours, its easier to just nuke it.

  4. #34
    New Member
    Join Date
    December 17, 2019
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    11:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    So, its something gone wrong with your machine or some software on your machine DURING the update process.

    All of my machines are on 1809, and they all run perfectly. But i have several clients who have had machines totally wrecked (in Revit) after the 1809 update. Reimaging them WITH 1809, and then reinstalling everything, solves the issue, for those.

    Not ideal, obviously. But since we dont know whats causing it, and rebuilding a machine from a bare image is just a few hours, its easier to just nuke it.
    We have already installed multiple clean installations of the OS to no avail, still the same thing.

  5. #35
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,790
    Current Local Time
    04:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Then it might be a conflict of something you are putting on the machines: either software, or drivers for hardware. 1809 is on 4 machines within ten feet of me. They all run Revit like champs.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    New Member
    Join Date
    December 17, 2019
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    11:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Then it might be a conflict of something you are putting on the machines: either software, or drivers for hardware. 1809 is on 4 machines within ten feet of me. They all run Revit like champs.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    There is no doubt it is OS related, but why 1809 is almost 4 times slower opening a project than a Windows 10 1803 or Windows 7 on the same hardware is beyond me, I have been testing with clean installations where its just the fresh Windows installation + Updates and then Nvidia Drivers, rest is just Microsoft WHQL drivers.

    Today i have tested 4 different machines aswell to see if newer hardware is faster, but so far i tested with a Intel 8700K, Intel 4590K, and Intel 5820K, all of them on Windows 10 1903 are slower than the reference machine Intel 5820K on Windows 7. all the other hardware is almost identical, 16 GB ram, Intel or Samsung SSD, Nvidia Geforce 960 and 1070.

    i am completely at a loss what could be wrong.

    I have been testing both with projects on our file server and projects detached and stored local on the machines, but they still have the same ratio in terms of performance, if the file is stored on our file server it takes 314 seconds to open on our windows 10 1903 machine and 82 seconds on our Windows 7 machine, which gives a ratio of around 3.8 and if we detach the same project and store it on the local machine it takes 51 seconds on windows 10 1903 and 13 seconds on our windows 7 machine, which is also a ratio of about 3.8.

  7. #37
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,790
    Current Local Time
    04:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yeah. What im saying is: That isnt the case for everyone else that is on 1809. meaning its a combination of 1809 and something else... Not just 1809. :shrug:

  8. #38
    Member remiscs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18, 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    256
    Current Local Time
    02:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wotpro View Post
    There is no doubt it is OS related, but why 1809 is almost 4 times slower opening a project than a Windows 10 1803 or Windows 7 on the same hardware is beyond me, I have been testing with clean installations where its just the fresh Windows installation + Updates and then Nvidia Drivers, rest is just Microsoft WHQL drivers.

    Today i have tested 4 different machines aswell to see if newer hardware is faster, but so far i tested with a Intel 8700K, Intel 4590K, and Intel 5820K, all of them on Windows 10 1903 are slower than the reference machine Intel 5820K on Windows 7. all the other hardware is almost identical, 16 GB ram, Intel or Samsung SSD, Nvidia Geforce 960 and 1070.

    i am completely at a loss what could be wrong.

    I have been testing both with projects on our file server and projects detached and stored local on the machines, but they still have the same ratio in terms of performance, if the file is stored on our file server it takes 314 seconds to open on our windows 10 1903 machine and 82 seconds on our Windows 7 machine, which gives a ratio of around 3.8 and if we detach the same project and store it on the local machine it takes 51 seconds on windows 10 1903 and 13 seconds on our windows 7 machine, which is also a ratio of about 3.8.
    Have you tried a clean 1809 install? What about 1903? (excuse me if it was mentioned already). Driver updates are very important as well. A lot of Windows feature updates are breaking some drivers to the point where you will see notes in drivers like "version 1903 supported".

    One thing to keep in mind as well. Intel has had a lot of security issues the past 1yr or so. Updates to fix the security issues have actually caused a loss in performance. Some of these security fixes come in the form of BIOS updates and Windows updates.

    There was an Intel i9 10980xe review (Linus Tech Tips) that has the faster clock speed 10980xe actually run slower in some benchmarks than the i9 9980xe it replaced. The 10980xe is basically the same CPU as the 9980xe so the clock speed increase the newer CPU has should not have caused slower performance. Intel did not comment and it is pointing to possible security fixes they baked into the CPU caused the slower performance.

    All this to say, it can be more complicated than just OS updates despite I think that does seem to be a good portion of what you are experiencing. The 5820k should be a dog in Revit compared to the 8700k
    Last edited by remiscs; December 20th, 2019 at 02:08 AM.

  9. #39
    New Member
    Join Date
    January 12, 2020
    Posts
    1
    Current Local Time
    10:26 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I am not sure about the update of Windows 10,i tried to update Windows 10 in 2018, but failed,so I had to find professionals. However,i am still interested in the update of Windows 10.

Similar Threads

  1. Revit 2019.1 and Windows 10 update 1803
    By willsud in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 21st, 2018, 04:38 PM
  2. NAS Units & Windows April Update (SMB Fail)
    By cellophane in forum Hardware and Infrastructure
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 29th, 2018, 10:26 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 10th, 2017, 06:02 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 16th, 2012, 12:45 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 26th, 2012, 02:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •