Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 1809 update screwing with Revit

Current Local Time
    03:48 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Windows 1809 update screwing with Revit

So, as you might have seen in this thread I'm the happy owner of a new workstation, but had some issue getting there. The RFO benchmark was very slow and opening a project sucked as well. In the end I did a re-install of the entire machine, getting rid of the install the system builder did and that solved my issue...until today !

I decided to install the 1809 update for windows, which in itself was uneventful, but of course I wanted to see what that update did for Revit. Well, it brought my score all the way back to 220 again (from 80) and loading a project sucked again!

I am pretty sure the install the system builder did also had the 1809 update, so that sucked.

Luckily I was able to do a system restore to the install before the 1809 update, ran the RFO benchmark again and I'm back at 80 on the score.

So to make a long story short DO NOT INSTALL THE 1809 UPDATE !!! on a production machine.

But I do want to hear if other people have the same issue with that update. Could not find anything Revit related on the web, other then the problems they have with deleted files for example.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; December 9th, 2018 at 08:03 PM.

Current Local Time
    08:48 PM

Well, there are a LOT of reports of the new Windows Update processes, jacking up performance. So, before we can say if there is an issue with 1809, we need to get a machine tested that was ORIGINALLY built with 1809. Because the way Windows Updates get installed now, sucks.

I had a bunch of machines have issues with 1803 updates, but fresh windows installs of 1803 were fine.

Current Local Time

The DVD that came with the machine is 1803 and a clean install from that works well.
    So it could indeed either be the update process of the 1809 update itself.

Are there 1809 DVD's already available?

Current Local Time

I have been thinking a bit more and I'm sure I also had the 1809 update on my old machine, without any trouble. But I'm also pretty sure that that was the first 1809 update Microsoft released (so before they bulled it back again because of issues). So could it be that it is just the re-release that is causing this?

Current Local Time
    08:48 PM

I honestly didn't know 1809 was out. None of my.machines have been promoted for update yet. So I'm not sure.

If I can track down an ISO of it I can start some testing.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I honestly didn't know 1809 was out. None of my.machines have been promoted for update yet. So I'm not sure.
    If I can track down an ISO of it I can start some testing.
    I downloaded the enterprise demo ISO here last night. Im sick enough today I may end up going to bed early (again) with a new VM installing over night.

Gordon

Current Local Time

Pretty sure that everything from MS will be the October 13, updated 1809 update instead of the October 2 original one. But having some people test it as well, will help tracking stuff down. Have my old machine running again as well, with a clean install, so will see if I can recreate the issue on that one too.

And I just remembered I have a laptop too. Lemme check whats on there.

[edit] Laptop is still 1803 [/edit]
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; December 10th, 2018 at 03:39 PM.

Current Local Time

And damn Gordon. I'm not feeling 100% either. Think it was the meeting with my client last week that gave it to me, because he was feeling like crap. Hope I did not pass it on to you during the expat meetup.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    And damn Gordon. I'm not feeling 100% either. Think it was the meeting with my client last week that gave it to me, because he was feeling like crap. Hope I did not pass it on to you during the expat meetup.
    Well, it's been a stressful few weeks, then a late and over inebriated Friday, plus I got soaked on the way to Paul's place Saturday. I think I was due for a sore throat. Feeling a bit better today, so hopefully tomorrow I am back to normal and fully back to work.

Current Local Time
    06:48 PM

If I recall, 1809 came out and was pulled because data was randomly getting deleted/disappearing. Then to my surprise I saw it auto download the other day so I was guessing MS fixed the issue with that.

1809 can be manually downloaded. The question I suppose is like you guys mentioned; is it the update process or 1809 period?
    (v7.30 Tool was updated 12-10-18) *Careful a lot of ads on page but legit tool, been using it years*
    https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool

Here is a link to a tool I use for ISO files from MS, you can select the Oct 2018 (Nov Edition) from the list. The original 1809 seems to be the October 2018 (Oct edition).