Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ductwork System Parts V Fabrication Parts

Current Local Time
    12:53 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ductwork System Parts V Fabrication Parts

Hi All,
    new to forum and using revit 2 yrs approx. I have been using AutoCAD since R9.

Question:
    Am i missing something here with Fabrication parts which are included in revit versus the System parts.
    The fabrication parts cannot be assigned to a system, example: Supply Air / Return etc.
    They do not contain any intelligence like flow / pressure drop just physical data and also each part has to be changed if a change is made to the system.
    Library is limited, Revit MEP Imperial Content V2.2 is installed, i am in the process of looking for Metric content.

Fabrication Parts: appear more realistic with flanges and hangers snap to duct. For "solid fill" in views i have to use filters. Color Fill will not work from the Analyze tab.

The Duct System parts contain intelligent parameters, connecting fittings etc, change automatically when the system is altered.

Duct System Parts: less realistic, hangers will not snap, color fill works.

So: is it just down to the user what system works best, or is there more to Fabrication & System parts that i just am not aware of.

Are MEP fabrication parts relatively new to Revit and is the content improving?

Is it good practice to mix both Fabrication and System parts in the same model?

Cheers

Current Local Time
    05:53 PM

You nailed it.

Fabrication database management requires another Fabrication Suite tool, like CADmep for AutoCAD. Fabrication database management is not for the faint of heart. It's practically a separate job skill.

Mix generics and FAB parts as required, but be aware of the system data issues you mentioned. I do this a lot, but I don't rely on system data anymore much beyond grille tags for airflow.

Be careful with hidden line detail. WYSI NWYG.
    Last edited by TFuller; December 21st, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by TFuller View Post
    You nailed it.
    Did I?....Oh no....

Thanks for response

Current Local Time
    06:53 PM

Simple answer.

If you are modeling for fabrication use the fabrication parts.

If you are designing, then you don't use fabrication parts.

If you just want a pretty picture, mix and match as desired.

Current Local Time

I have downloaded the latest Fabrication Configuration Version 7.05 but when i try to load it in to Revit it appears as V2.2 (see snips attatched)
    Is this correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REVIT.JPG   CADMEP.JPG  

Current Local Time

Those naming issues really come down to just making sure the programmer typed in the right data string. Fabrication Configuration name in Revit is based on configuration name when creating a configuration and is not auto-magically tied to the database version which is also a made up number of anything you want.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any name.JPG   any name 2.JPG  

Current Local Time

HOWEVER....

It looks like you are showing two different databases. One is the Revit Metric and one is the CADmep Metric. Autodesk has put out two databases sets - one that installs with CADmep/EST/CAM, and one for Revit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails double the fun.JPG   Config pathing partial.JPG  
    Last edited by TFuller; January 3rd, 2019 at 01:42 PM.

Current Local Time

And, might I add, be aware of two completely different connector logic theories in each different database set.

The CADmep database uses a "no-joint" based theory that does not use a required go-between for connecting (e.g.) male threads to female threads via a "joint" item. This will look very clean at first.

The Revit database uses a "joint-required" based theory that does require a joint at most connections. So to connect male threads to female threads (e.g.) you will need a male gendered male pipe thread connection and a female gendered male pipe thread connector...

Oh let me just make a drawing...

(If any FAB aficionados want to contest my findings or statements, I'll be happy to discuss).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails joint theory_LI.jpg  
    Last edited by TFuller; January 3rd, 2019 at 01:53 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by TFuller View Post
    Those naming issues really come down to just making sure the programmer typed in the right data string. Fabrication Configuration name in Revit is based on configuration name when creating a configuration and is not auto-magically tied to the database version which is also a made up number of anything you want.
    Is a naming convention used to adhere to standards or any old name will do?
    Thanks Thomas

Current Local Time

I have always called mine my COMPANY_NAME FABRICATION. I don't mess with version number management either. I'm a small operation. Bigger players may find this more important. It's very important when it comes to comparing what you are getting from others (like ADSK or another content provider/collaborator), but when it's just yourself... meh.

I may have skipped an obvious point here though. I run my own configuration. I recently had to start over on a new config because of a job change and I used the OOTB configs to get started, but I created my new one as a copy of both CADmep and Revit versions merged together and modified to play nicer. It's a bit involved.