Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nested family swap some parameters disassociate

Current Local Time
    08:58 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi Alex, thanks for your reply,
    To clarify, are you suggesting that making this a shared parameter may resolve the issue or that i should not be using shared parameter?
    Currently they are not shared parameters. I may play around with making them shared and see what happens i guess! I didn't really want to have them as shared but if it works i'll get over it! :-)

Current Local Time

So to update I have replaced one of the offending parameters with a shared parameter. Still behaves the same. I have now confirmed also that the association is lost immediately if the type is changed away from the current selection. So since i have this happening to 2 different types I'm now at a loss. (without stripping them out and having different families... but that defeats my purpose. If anyone has any other suggestions to offer i'd be very grateful.

Current Local Time
    12:58 AM

It helps to never change types when in family editor, i have had multiple familys where it would work fine in project, but when changing type in family it would give an error.

Current Local Time

But in this case you have to change types in the family editor. You have to change the type to the correct nested family in order to associate the parameters. Well for clarity i'm not actually changing types, I'm changing a "family type parameter". sorry for that confusion
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Type Parameter.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	38616

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookio View Post
    But in this case you have to change types in the family editor. You have to change the type to the correct nested family in order to associate the parameters. Well for clarity i'm not actually changing types, I'm changing a "family type parameter". sorry for that confusion
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Type Parameter.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	38616
    A screen grab of a bunch of family parameters doesn't really say much, but I'll have a go.

All nested families need to have, and use, the exact same control parameters linked through (shared parameters maintain consistency) or the link will simply dissapear when you swap to a nested family without it.

IE. any nested family that does not have the identically linked parameter - BOOM - parameter unlinked when you change it to be current choice.

Current Local Time

Hi Elton,
    Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated.
    By the way if I could hug you right now i would.
    So the issue was not anything to do with the name of the parameter, shared or otherwise. This issue was that the parameter was not in ALL nested families. If i switch to a family that did not need that parameter, and hence didn't have that parameter, that was causing it to unlink. Easy fix now, add those parameters into the other nested families even if they are not needed.
    Creating a shared parameter didn't help, because i only created it in the host and ONE of the nested families.

So am i missing some underlying philosophy of the software? Is it unusual that I need to create superfluous parameters just in order for them to maintain a link.
    Either way hours of mucking around and trawling the internet finally solved my issue so again, thanks!!