Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Create form: profile to follow two different paths that blend and merge together

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:20 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yes, this does not work. I don't know how you created the splines. I erased your splines, made them again, and then it works. There has to be something in the way you draw the splines...

Current Local Time
    11:20 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Yes, this does not work. I don't know how you created the splines. I erased your splines, made them again, and then it works. There has to be something in the way you draw the splines...
    That's weird. How did you draw yours?

I simply drew the splines selecting, 'reference line-spline-work plane' then simply drew the spline by selecting the points shown on the flat plane. The bottom two splines from left to right using 3 points. The top curved spline, again left to right, by simply selecting the points that are shown.

Current Local Time
    09:20 PM

Place the points individually, then select those to join and use spline through points tool.

Current Local Time
    06:20 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cheeko View Post
    That's weird. How did you draw yours?

I simply drew the splines selecting, 'reference line-spline-work plane' then simply drew the spline by selecting the points shown on the flat plane. The bottom two splines from left to right using 3 points. The top curved spline, again left to right, by simply selecting the points that are shown.
    I believe there is still a glitch in Revit that using "select work plane" takes you out of reference lines and puts you back in regular model lines. And they need to be reference lines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveP; March 21st, 2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Place the points individually, then select those to join and use spline through points tool.
    This creates the form, but now it won't allow me to raise any point. I change to x-ray view so I can see the points, but when I try to raise the front middle point (to start creating the 'spine' middle form as previously shown) an error comes up and says it cannot create form.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I believe there is still a glitch in Revit that using "select work plane" takes you out of reference lines and puts you back in regular model lines. And they need to be reference lines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I've noticed there are MANY glitches in revit since I started using it

Current Local Time
    09:20 PM

Yes there are, but some are quirks and some are even features lol. You do get used to it in time, even expecting it, but you also learn how to deal with it (mostly)

Current Local Time

But this exercise works well here. I don't know why it does not work on your side. It would help if you record a video that shows how you are doing this, using Screencast Recorder.

Current Local Time

OK, I'm slowly starting to make some head way.
    I've been able to create the form using 3 splines and been able to vertically raise the two center spine points. Like everyone else, I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time or how I created it for it to not work. But I did it over from scratch with the same approach and this time it worked.
    I've been experimenting wit the U and V grid patterns form (by adjusting the initial splines and control points. It's good learning exercise for me).
    However now I'm trying to load in the roof structure to this layout form but is unable to create.
    Following all the tutorials I've seen online, the structure (pattern) was created from the 'metric-generic model pattern based' family template. For now I'm simply a simple rectangular structure pattern to try it out.
    I've played around with and adjusted as many parameters within the U and V settings as well as the grid pattern to see where the error is coming from but no luck finding it so far.
    I've followed all the same online tutorials to do this but i don't know where i'm going wrong.
    How do you fix my example?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

The error might be in the dimensions of the forms inside your pattern-based family. The size of the panel in x and y is always adaptive to the available space in the divided surface, but the offset and the thickness (z) are not adaptive, and a radius dimension (like the profile of the tube) is not adaptive, therefore you need to control those dimensions, using actual thickness and radius.

Also, it would be better to create a continuous tube (using the circle and all four reference lines together to create form), instead of creating 4 tubes not connected at the corners.