Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Create form: profile to follow two different paths that blend and merge together

Current Local Time
    08:13 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    The error might be in the dimensions of the forms inside your pattern-based family. The size of the panel in x and y is always adaptive to the available space in the divided surface, but the offset and the thickness (z) are not adaptive, and a radius dimension (like the profile of the tube) is not adaptive, therefore you need to control those dimensions, using actual thickness and radius.

Also, it would be better to create a continuous tube (using the circle and all four reference lines together to create form), instead of creating 4 tubes not connected at the corners.
    Thanks Alfredo,
    I see what you mean. For the time being I've eliminated the upper divided offset face and just kept the rectangular bar form. I've also re-constructed the tube as per your suggestion (I like this, it's much easier).

With this now I've tried several combinations of tube diameter, reference line lengths, dimensions of the pattern-based family, the UV grid intersects from the divided surface and I have not yet been able to create/load this pattern into the layout.

The biggest reason is I don't know where perhaps the error (or inability of the software) to create the pattern form. If I knew this I could experiment with the appropriate adjustments. The error message doesn't do much to help me understand where the issue is.

Any other possible reasons as to why this form can't be constructed that I could look into or attempt at changing parameters? I'm not sure what other parameters there could be to change. I seem to have experimented with all of them that I can see. I'm not sure what else I can try.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    04:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cheeko View Post
    Any other possible reasons as to why this form can't be constructed that I could look into or attempt at changing parameters?
    Other than the reasons I mentioned above, no. I controlled the offset of the panel and its thickness with parameters, then I controlled the diameter of the tube with a parameter. I deleted the four tubes and replaced with one single tube (you said you did that already). Then I loaded into the other family, applied the pattern, and it worked.

Try to narrow the problem, making the pattern family with the tube but not the panel, and try. Then do it without the tube but only the panel, and try again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-27_9-51-22.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	36229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-27_9-53-59.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	36230  

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Try to narrow the problem, making the pattern family with the tube but not the panel, and try. Then do it without the tube but only the panel, and try again.
    Yes I have already removed the plate to isolate the problem one element at a time. This is how I am approaching it. (Test_roof_10.png)

Mine is still not generating like yours is, even with the same parameters as yours. However I am curious on a few things which may or may not play a role.

1. Under the pattern family structure properties menu, you have the dimensions options listed, where as in mine I do not. I can only change and access the dimensions via the element and sketch directly (as shown). How did you activate yours?
    I'm curious if perhaps we are using two different types of models and if that is making a difference.
    Are we using two different pattern models that is affecting the generation of the form perhaps? I used 'metric generic model pattern based'
    (Test_roof_11 & 12.png)

2. Can I see what parameters you have on your pattern model as well as the layout model?

Under the pattern model I currently have my horizontal and vertical spacing set to 1000x1000 but I've also tried various combinations of 100x100 to 5000x5000 and all fail (Test_roof_13.png)
    Under the layout model I've tried many UV grids from 3 up to 30+ in quantity to see what effect it has, as well as all the different parameters within each U and V grid setting. Again, all have failed up to this point (Test_roof_14.png)

Perhaps this could help me identify where the error is because I believe we are using the very same model.

many thanks

Name:	TEST_ROOF_14.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	36240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEST_ROOF_13.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	36241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEST_ROOF_12.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	36242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEST_ROOF_11.PNG 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	36243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEST_ROOF_10.PNG 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	36244  

Current Local Time

@cheeko, i'd love to get my hands on your model, it's really hard to seek errors on the distance, so to speak.....-is it possible for you to upload it and post a link?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tuekappel View Post
    @cheeko, i'd love to get my hands on your model, it's really hard to seek errors on the distance, so to speak.....-is it possible for you to upload it and post a link?
    Models attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

Cheers.

First tip: in order to check if your curtain panel family is bendy-flexy enough, try dragging the adaptive points that is seemingly attached to the underlying grid:

In your family i get an error, that is the core of your problem.

When i delete the circle, everything goes well, which leads me to this: you have placed the circle on one of the reference planes of one of the adaptive points, that's not so good.
    It should be hosted onto one of the ref lines, by first placing a point element (which will use the line as host) then make the ref plane of the point active, and onto that ref plane you draw your circle. This circle will stay perp to the line at all times, and do a correct sweep. This should work for you, let me try it, and get back to you.

Name:	2019-03-28_1054.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	36248  
    Last edited by tuekappel; March 28th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

Current Local Time

Ya, this works.

i can post the family, if you want to look with your fingers :-)

Next level is to make the circle a ref. line, to stay in control (do this before sweeping). And then make the circle's diameter a parameter in that family, so you can tweak the thickness of your mullions.

Name:	2019-03-28_1059.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	36249  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tuekappel; March 28th, 2019 at 10:05 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by tuekappel View Post
    you have placed the circle on one of the reference planes of one of the adaptive points, that's not so good.
    It should be hosted onto one of the ref lines
    Well slap my face and call me Judy! That's what it was.
    I wouldn't have thought of that.

However now that you've said it I can completely see why it would not have worked by placing it on the adaptive point (as I initially did). After several years of CAD use it's something I should have considered.

Thanks very much for this.
    Now that the initial road block has been cleared apparently I can experiment with the pattern model for a more representative roof structure.

I will model up the rebar in such a way that the each pattern square will create a inter woven mesh of horizontal and vertical bars, like cross stitching yarn or woven carbon fiber.

I will also be experimenting with the UV grid. Currently it shapes out the form to outer extremes of the splines as expected (represented in my photo by the green and red lines). So now I will need to experiment with adding support rebar following the outer contour as you go up the form (represented by the yellow lines).

Name:	TEST_ROOF_15.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	540.4 KB 
ID:	36272