Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIM360 Document Management "Teams"

Current Local Time
    01:55 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    One thing that I do find a bit silly is when I can't add a member to a team until after they have accepted the invite to the project.
    I agree! I don't mind them needing to accept an email, but I do mind having to wait for someone to accept an invite to give them/their company permissions! It leads to the "Hey, I can get in, but don't see the stuff I need to" issue if they try to access the project right away.

I put the issue on the BIM360 ideas forum, but am not going to hold my breath waiting for a fix.

Current Local Time
    06:55 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Yes, that's the way it is. But I think is necessary, is it not? It's like when you sign up for an account in a website. They send you a confirmation email, that you need to reply to confirm before you can use the website.
    Maybe i didnt expound enough, Dave and jmk' s comments are what I'm getting at.

Them : "Hi, I'm still waiting to get access, can you please add me?"
    Me : "Did you accept the email invite?"
    Them : "Yes, but I still can't open the project"
    Me : "Ok, I'll add you to the xxx team and you'll get another email. Click that and you should be good to go"....

What is even sillier is I don't get notified when someone accepts their "you've been added to the project" invite, so the above scenario plays out almost every time.

And then there's " what's BIM360 and how do I use it? Is it like drop box?" But that's another story all together

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:55 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And then there's " what's BIM360 and how do I use it? Is it like drop box?" But that's another story all together
    Yep...after that is the "we have to pay for more licenses???!!!"

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:55 PM

...And then there's " what's BIM360 and how do I use it? Is it like drop box?" But that's another story all together
    Hahah.... exactly.

Current Local Time
    03:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D Davis View Post
    Scott B, try this link: (maybe you've seen it already?)

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...60-design.html
    ^ I have read this. Team Architecture is trying this out for the first time and sent me the above link to 'help.' Coming from the consultant side (Team Structure) I did not have to set up the BIM360 project. But now, I'm looking at a Document Management page where I can visibly see THREE differently dated Architectural models (and can link to all three through Manage Links.)

They are in the following folders:
    Collaborate > Architecture > Revit
    Collaborate > Structural > Consumed > Architecture
    Shared > Architecture

BUT, which one should I link to??? The more I read on this, the more I think I understand it, and then I overthink it.

Current Local Time
    01:55 PM

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanneZ View Post
    ^ I have read this. Team Architecture is trying this out for the first time and sent me the above link to 'help.' Coming from the consultant side (Team Structure) I did not have to set up the BIM360 project. But now, I'm looking at a Document Management page where I can visibly see THREE differently dated Architectural models (and can link to all three through Manage Links.)

They are in the following folders:
    Collaborate > Architecture > Revit
    Collaborate > Structural > Consumed > Architecture
    Shared > Architecture

BUT, which one should I link to??? The more I read on this, the more I think I understand it, and then I overthink it.
    Coming from the architecture side I would leave it up to you. They will behave differently:

Collaborate > Architecture > Revit: This one will be their live model - they can make a change, sync and you can reload their model and see it. This behaves the way links worked in C4R before it transitioned to BIM360
    Collaborate > Structural > Consumed > Architecture:This one you control when you update. This is good if you want to review their model before you use it, want to make sure their model doesn't change before a deadline, etc.
    Shared > Architecture:This is a hybrid option. It will be updated each time the architecture team packages and shares the model. Ideally this would be on a schedule. The model won't change when they sync, but the architecture team would control when you see the latest model

I always live link consultant models because I want to see the latest and greatest. Our structural engineer does the live link because it is easy and what they are used to. Our MEP prefers to consume our models because then they control when they see the information (they hate it when we add walls the day before a deadline!)

You can also change your method using the "reload from" option in the link dialog, so you aren't making a lasting decision.

7.    #17
    Autodesk
    (Product Line Manager, BDS)
    Current Local Time
    04:55 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Nice description Julie!

If anybody else has questions on this, let me know...I was PM Lead on this whole workflow when we built it.

-Kyle