Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RevitForum.org’s 2019 Fundraising Drive!

Current Local Time
    12:22 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Big thanks to Munkholm and Gordon and Ian and all the mods who keep the site running so well. Hard to believe that in little over a year, we'll be celebrating year #10.

While I don't participate in many internet forums, etc, I waste far too much time browsing forums and comment sections, and the level of content, knowledge, contributions and overall quality of this forum is fairly unique on the internet, especially in this day and age. It's really refreshing.

Best to all!

Cheers!

Current Local Time
    09:22 PM

I have to say, it's really the Moderator Team that does most of the daily work of keeping the door open and the drunks off the stoop. Much thanks to that crew! And thanks to Klaus for getting us and keeping us up and running, and continuing to do all the heavy lifting on the technical side.

Current Local Time
    03:22 PM

since I just made my donation, I feel completely justified in bumping this post!

Current Local Time

I'm a newb (former lurker) and just signed-up, but ...

With 80k+ users, wouldn't it be worth it to keep things as-is, versus saving a bit of money?

Isn't the extra speed/reliability/consistency (aka not having to move or deal with the issues that arise as part of a move) .. more valuable than saving a couple thousand?

As a software developer, I always advise people not to switch-out systems to save a bit of money, it's never worth in in the end (in production systems) .. but when you spread this over 80k users, I feel like this is a "if it's not broke, don't stress too much over fixing it -- particularly if the extra $2k buys a tiny bit more speed for those 80k users."

But again, as a new user here, I don't really deserve to speak definitive, just my opinion and wouldn't be the first time I was wrong

Current Local Time
    02:22 PM

FWIW, i dont believe any changes were made simply to cut costs. Changes were made recently because the old host sold their services to another company, and the service tanked, and we had massive outages. Then Munkholm found a new setup, that (coincidentally) also changed the cost (in our favor).

Im sure Munk can correct me if i have that wrong.

Current Local Time

Sorry, I just missed something. I misunderstood in that I thought someone was suggesting that the $3k donations (for servers) seemed high and that by switching hosts (in the future, not something that had been done in the past) that the $3k could be lowered.

I was just suggesting that, based on my experience, with the numbers involved, the savings-vs-reward, might not be worth it.

I didn't realize the change to reduce from $3k in hosting had already been made. Sorry for the confusion.

Current Local Time
    02:22 PM

Hehehe, no worries! Its awesome that someone with your background has joined, and is chiming in. I just figured (since this post has been mega long, and stuff) i would save you the time of getting caught up on the backstory, is all.

Totes agreed: Cheaping out on hosting to save a few bucks is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DevGirl View Post
    I'm a newb (former lurker) and just signed-up, but ...

With 80k+ users, wouldn't it be worth it to keep things as-is, versus saving a bit of money?
    80k users? You just joined the forum, but if we come here often, you will feel that there are about 20 users. Notice that the donation takes a while to reach its goal. If those "80k" could contribute at least 5 cents a year, the forum wouldn't have any problems in covering its expenses.

Current Local Time
    05:22 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    80k users? You just joined the forum, but if we come here often, you will feel that there are about 20 users. Notice that the donation takes a while to reach its goal. If those "80k" could contribute at least 5 cents a year, the forum wouldn't have any problems in covering its expenses.
    Does that mean i can reduce my contribution to 5c a year?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    80k users?
    I was just repeating what was stated in the first post of the "Introduction" thread (80k users).

My point was simply that continuity it often worth more than saving money, in tech.

I have been here plenty, but I don't generally look at posts by the date.

I generally find myself here when trying to understand how to do something, not being a particularly good/experienced Revit user as this is not my trade, but architecture and CAD/BIM tools are something I do purely because enjoy them thoroughly.