Thread: Question about standard naming conventions for Retaining Wall footings...

Current Local Time
    07:54 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question about standard naming conventions for Retaining Wall footings...

I started a new job about a month ago and I am not the only Revit person. :O
    So, I need to pay more attention to company "standards." Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate company standards and promote them. I like for drawings from one company to a consistent appearance.

We have retaining wall footings on a project I'm working on. And there are several that are the same width, but have different wall widths, heel dimensions and toe dimensions. So, I may have 3 or 4 different retaining wall footings that are all 7'-6" wide. How would you name each one to differentiate between them? My new firm doesn't have a well thought out method for differing retaining wall footings.

In my old company, where I was the only one that needed to coordinate items like this, I would add the detail number (where the footing was detailed) to the type name; I'd use the Type Mark parameter and tag the foundations with with a tag that pulls from the Type Mark field. Not sure if this is the best way, so I'm looking to see what others are doing.

Current Local Time
    07:54 PM

I would just add that info into the type name:

Footing - 7' 6" - 36" Wall - 24" Toe - 30" Heel
    Footing - 7' 6" - 36" Wall - 30" Toe - 24" Heel

It is a lot in the name, but eliminates any confusion. At least until the type changes but the name doesn't get updated (disclaimer: i'm not structural)

Current Local Time
    12:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post

It is a lot in the name, but eliminates any confusion. At least until the type changes but the name doesn't get updated (disclaimer: i'm not structural)
    i agree , in order to update the names when the type change, you may use schedule by applying some filters or use dynamo to set the any parameters which you want to change

Current Local Time
    08:54 PM

Thumbs up

Agreed: I would put as much information into the name of each wall as possible. If you want to condense your names, you can use abbreviations or differentiate your walls based on the unique differences between them, omitting similar information. On the other hand, I prefer writing tons of information to classify my components.

Current Local Time
    06:54 PM

For wall footings, including the toe/heel dimension in the type name is probably NOT the safest approach because it is driven by an instance parameter (eccentricity), which can arbitrarily be changed by any user. We only tag isolated foundation elements on plan, and then refer to different sheet for a retaining wall schedule that specifies the footing dimensions based on the wall height/width... which I'm still not sure is the best approach.

Current Local Time
    08:54 PM

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    For wall footings, including the toe/heel dimension in the type name is probably NOT the safest approach because it is driven by an instance parameter (eccentricity), which can arbitrarily be changed by any user. We only tag isolated foundation elements on plan, and then refer to different sheet for a retaining wall schedule that specifies the footing dimensions based on the wall height/width... which I'm still not sure is the best approach.
    If you plan on changing your walls periodically and have tons of walls with similar properties, you could use simple naming conventions: '7'-6" W1' & '7'-6" W2' are examples. That way, your actual wall name doesn't need to change, but W1 and W2 can change based on your project's development. You made a good point, @Knitro87.