Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Clashes in Navisworks

Current Local Time
    11:47 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Graph image, and screen shot attached.

Then use that property (or any property you wanted) in Navis for your search set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-06-18_14-42-19.png   2019-06-18_14-41-34.png  

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Verticals have an actual slope of "Not Computed" aka <blank> or "". So you can search for- and find- that, and write data to the pipes with the Slope set to "".
    I would also advise that when the slope tool is turned on, and you change an elevation that puts in a vertical, there's a very slight slope still applied to the intended vertical pipe. It's kind of a glitch in Revit, if you ask me, but not technically because you can and sometimes need pipes to "lean" in the vertical ever so slightly.

I say this because it's a real thing in models, so I wanted you to be aware in case there was a less than or greater than that could be applied. Only OCD people like me will turn off the slope tool before I create a vertical through the elevation change, then turn it back on to continue with my sloped pipes. But this also can happen through slight edits, etc.

Anyways, it may be splitting hairs, but if I had the option to include something that captured "leaning" vertical pipes, I would include it.

-TZ

Current Local Time

No, its not splitting hairs: Its the exact reason i wouldnt keep the graph this way, if we wanted to assign a *tolerance* that we were considering *vertical.*

In that case, i would collect startX, EndX, startY, endY, and StartZ, EndZ of the pipe, and set up some rules. Graph would be much bigger... But since i dont know what the assumptions or rules are yet, i couldnt do it if i wanted to. But its totally possible.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    So, Tannar's post made me curious, because those are the nuts-and-bolts problems we have to be able to solve, or our "solutions" arent real, and thats worthless. So i modified the graph to use the other approach, i discussed. This means there is now essentially a TOLERANCE you can enter: How far apart the start and end points of the pipe are (in feet and inches) that you still want to consider it "vertical." For right now, i set mine to 1/4". That means no matter how high up and down the pipe goes, if the X,Y point moves more than a 1/4", its not considered "vertical." This allows it to catch the modeling idiosyncrasies Tannar was talking about. And- of course- if you also want to catch pipes that are largely vertical but also canted at an angle, you can set that tolerance to be any value you want: 1'-0", or something.

Then, i got curious how many pipes are like this, so i opened an MEP model i happen to have here, and ran both graphs:

The one that uses the SLOPE parameter found: 1556 Pipes

The one that uses the TOLERANCE method found: 1696 Pipes.

An extra 140 pipes, that are modeled as Tannar described.

Thanks for the tip, Tannar. Now we have something lightweight and usable. The graph could certainly be optimized a bit. In the chunky middle section i doubled up some nodes, because im not great with lists and whatnot. A real Dynamo guru could clean it up and make it more better.

The graph itself:

1. It collects all the Pipes
    2. Gets the start and end points of their Curves.
    3. Gets the X and Y values of those points.
    4. Performs a subtraction of Start X - End X, and Start Y - End Y, in two parallel branches.
    5. takes the result of number 4, and gets the absolut value of it (no negative values since we dont care about direction)
    6. Checks to see if it is greater than or equal to our "Tolerance" node, which is currently set to 1/4".
    7. Creates a list of both comparisons lists (giving is twice as many true or false "answers."
    8. Transposes the list, which means breaks them in to smaller lists (one per pipe) of both true or false answers from number 6.
    9. Looks for ANY of the conditions (of the two) to be TRUE. Filters those out, since those are the NON vertical Pipes.
    10. Takes the REST and sets the Comments to say VERTICAL, for Navisworks to Search Set. Of course, you could use any parameter you wanted, here. If i were doing this often, id make a Shared Parameter for it, personally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parallax Team-90-Project Data-Plumbing-Find all Vertical Pipes.png   2019-06-18_18-08-17.png   2019-06-18_20-36-13.png  

Current Local Time
    10:47 PM

Good job Aaron!

Current Local Time

Thanks! Im thinking this needs to be a simple push button app, at some point. Not just this workflow, mind you, but there are a bunch of small *data pushes* that we do, prior to exporting to Navisworks. Maybe we need some ******* push buttons for that.

Current Local Time
    05:47 AM

Could you not just add a comment in a non used Revit parameter field that says "I am vertical" (or some such lol) and make a search set in NW?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by kboydsheppard View Post
    Could you not just add a comment in a non used Revit parameter field that says "I am vertical" (or some such lol) and make a search set in NW?

Sure... If you want to manually hunt around and manually select ever pipe or duct that is vertical or close to vertical, to enter that parameter in.

Or you run the graph and it automatically does exactly what you are talking about.

I guess if you get paid by the hour your way makes sense... Otherwise: automate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Bah.... Isolate a 3d view to just pipes, view cube orient to an elevation, crossing window select horizontally..done

Or add the comment as you add each pipe.

Or do I miss something

Current Local Time

I mean if you're looking for vertical clashes those pipes are going to go from level to level anyway so they should be easy to select any that dont go level to level or is too short isn't worthy of a clash anyways?