Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Are People Doing For Trees?

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    09:23 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeChumpOfStultz;...
    Will definitely keep my eye on CS Artisan, thanks for the recommendations. Anyway to see the handout? Someone from our firm was at the Melbourne conference, although evidently they didn't attend that presentation
    Even if your coworker did not attend that presentation, he/she has access to all the handouts of the event.

Current Local Time
    06:23 PM

I cheat a bit and use font as tree.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Font tree.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	36820

Current Local Time
    09:23 PM

Don't have anything to add to this discussion. Just wanted to say before this drops off the most viewed list that I find the title of this thread very humorous. What ARE people doing for trees?

Current Local Time
    01:23 PM

Haha not a whole lot, a pretty one sided relationship if you ask me

Back to Revit land, and in the interests of concluding the thread, we ended up opting for the simple geometric tree in 3D views and then have 2D plan and elevation graphics nested in that will scale independently. There's no link between the diameter value and the width of the elevation graphic (as the graphics can't be stretched along one axis only) so we just gave each elevation graphic a "skinny" and "wide" variation to try and cope with this. The trees go onto a design option, and then each set of non-square elevations/sections get their own design option with all of the trees added to the set and then rotated to align. (currently done with an inbuilt parameter but seems like a quick dynamo script will handle this in a fraction of the time.)

If anyone ever wants anything realistic in 3D then it's over to Enscape (another DO) or Lumion.

Current Local Time
    02:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LeChumpOfStultz View Post
    If anyone ever wants anything realistic in 3D then it's over to Enscape (another DO)
    do you mean Design Option when you say "DO"?

Because there's really no need (unless you want the pretty Evermotion-assets-that-come-with-Enscape placed differently to your design ones?) -

you can sub nest a "widget" (we use Entourage) into your planting family that carries the Enscape parameters for the proxy swap-out - then, much like the nested RPC workflow, a quick juggle of coarse/medium/fine settings (so you can have the Revit lollipop for more graphic/volumetric workflows, etc) move place and move both at the same time (and do away with the superfluous DO)

We do this (and a little more) and have an existing tree (all properties are instance based, including the Enscape/Evermotion "widget") and a proposed tree (type based) - the only thing we don't (yet?) do is tackle the branch/leaf appearance in-plan & elevation. Mostly because existing trees pose a real challenge with individually adjustable elliptical quadrants for their NESW branch spreads - so we keep aesthetics consistent.
    Last edited by snowyweston; September 4th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.

Current Local Time
    01:23 PM

Yep I meant Design Option, one of the options in our Trees Set is for Enscape trees (and now all enscape assets actually). We never want to see the Enscape trees/assets in our Revit documentation, only for 3D renders, but I'm curious about this widget business.

It sounds like the widget is just something buried inside the trunk of the tree (?) that can then read the user entered height parameters, and then when viewed in Enscape the widget switches to display an Enscape tree that is already at the correct size?

My initial questions/concerns are the following:

-I imagine the widget can be turned off in all plan and elevation views (coarse, medium, fine) and also turned off in 3D at coarse and medium, so it only ever shows up in fine 3D views? And, if so, does the Revit fine 3D view then populate with the Enscape geometric trees? Or something else? Because if I'm understanding correctly the Revit lollipop is no longer visible once we switch to fine. If we can have a widget in Revit that when viewed through Enscape switches to a realistic tree, is there any reason we can't just use the Revit lollipop itself as the widget? (I'm more familiar with Lumion than Enscape)

-Can you switch the tree species per instance? Or do you need to have a separate tree family for every separate type of Enscape tree?

-Does it put much extra load on the family in terms of memory usage? Currently I would estimate only about 40%u0025 of our teams are using Enscape, and I worry about burdening the entire office.

-What do you do about controlling visibility of other Enscape assets in Revit? E.g Enscape furniture. Are they just turned off everywhere by filters?

Chucking everything Enscape related into a Design option just seemed like a simple and easy enough workflow to drill into all of the teams, but I'm curious about the widget story, even if it only ends up being a tool I apply for personal projects
    Last edited by LeChumpOfStultz; September 4th, 2019 at 09:39 AM.

Current Local Time
    02:23 AM

Name:	view details.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	37374

Name:	instance.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.6 KB