Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleanup AutoCAD dwg for previous faraway Origin

Current Local Time
    09:31 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    Well...the drawing is in mm. Your border you added is 832 miles away from the origin.
    Draw a line from your border to 0,0,0....you want to be as close as possible to that. I moved your box to the origin and saved, linked it into my project with no error messages.
    Yeah, i know....-the thing is, our Landscape architects like to draw on top of surveyors' files, hence the faraway origin. And i'd like to keep the workflow as clean as possible, so moving their geometry is out of the question.

But, you're right, i know too well about the limitations of Revit and surveyors' files.

I think my conclusion will have to be that i Xref/attach the LARCH file(units in mm) into a file that has meters as units. And that will be the file i link into Revit. Revit has a problem with large numbers, so it usually helps to convert to meters.

Current Local Time
    01:31 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tuekappel View Post
    I think my conclusion will have to be that i Xref/attach the LARCH file(units in mm) into a file that has meters as units. And that will be the file i link into Revit. Revit has a problem with large numbers, so it usually helps to convert to meters.
    When you xref the file try moving the xref so it’s centered over the host file’s world origin, then save the file for future updates. To get it ready for Revit bind the xref and explode it. Then explode it again, and again until there’s nothing left to explode (this to remove origins from blocks that are not logical to the geometry) - truthfully you may not need to explode over and over but it’s the safest approach. Then flatten everything (except topography if you’re using it), purge all, and save as a new file. This file can now be used in Revit without the issue of extreme geometry extents and is a fairly quick and repeatable process.

Current Local Time
    01:31 AM

Would this help?
    https://www.revitforum.org/architect...tml#post189250

"A new trick I learned: use COPYCLIP on the part of the CAD file you need (assuming you have and can open it in AutoCAD). That will create a new file with only the geometry you need, AND it will maintain the coordinate system, which is important if you have to export and send things back to your civil/site engineer.

I used to always move stuff in the CAD file to 0,0,0, but found it's better to use COPYCLIP so that the coordinate system is maintained, so that when I Acquire Coordinates my Revit model will have the same coordinate system. You can have the Site Survey Point more than 20 miles away from your Revit model, it just doesn't like model geometry that far away. "

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    12:31 AM

I’d avoid CopyClip, that uses Windows clipboard and is likely to be less accurate than WBlock, which can write a new file based on what is selected. It (WBlock) respects the original WCS coordinates of the file without risking Windows translation during the clipboard operation. The placement options for copyclip are enticing but the precision during the translation might introduce tiny errors we are hoping to avoid to begin with.

Current Local Time
    06:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    I’d avoid CopyClip, that uses Windows clipboard and is likely to be less accurate than WBlock, which can write a new file based on what is selected. It (WBlock) respects the original WCS coordinates of the file without risking Windows translation during the clipboard operation. The placement options for copyclip are enticing but the precision during the translation might introduce tiny errors we are hoping to avoid to begin with.
    I wasn't aware of that, guess I'll be using WBLOCK from now on. Cheers Steve

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    12:31 AM

Copy and Paste are Windows in Revit too

It might be accurate enough but makes me even less comfortable having to link the files at all does.

Current Local Time
    06:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Copy and Paste are Windows in Revit too

It might be accurate enough but makes me even less comfortable having to link the files at all does.
    I find slightly out of alignment things in Revit get aligned with copy paste
    I wouldn't do it with say, a property line though.