Thread: Structural Engineers - Is copy monitor working out on your end?

Current Local Time
    08:17 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Structural Engineers - Is copy monitor working out on your end?

Hello guys, I have new project that will start soon and I thought I would give C/M another try.
    I am on the Architects side, so I would prepare a model with my structural elements in it (worksets, project parameters for filtering etc).

The challenge or my concern is the way doors get translated. The become openings in the Structural copied and monitored walls.
    We have doors and windows on exterior CMU walls and doors and openings on shear walls.

Since the doors we use have additional linework and clearances, when the walls and openings are C/Med on a structural model, the openings are not the correct size.
    The additional geometry on our doors and other fenestration benefits our documenting process - do I don't want to give them up.

The project we work on have several floors (20+) so again I wanted to try C/M at least on the shear walls and exterior CMU walls since those change and the location of doors change throughout.

I was thinking of asking my structural engineer not to copy the fenestration and just C/M the walls.. but at that point does in the process any better than just manual and visual coordination. To add to the logistics, our new structural team models ALL walls so that they do not span levels (whereas we would model a shear wall all the way up from the bottom to the top as one wall.

If the translation of doors were not an issue I think this would be an easy workflow.
    looking to heard from those on the structural side.

Thank you

Current Local Time
    07:17 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wow! Posted back in July & no one has responded. Interesting. I wonder why for being in a structural forum ... and from an architects office no less. An opportunity to communicate with them.

I'll reply though as I am in a structural office. I have learnt to not C/M anything from the designer/architect regardless of if they are in-house or across the country.

First, as was mentioned, and I'd have to agree most designers do tend to create a wall from floor #1 to floor #n as one component. While there are cases when this is beneficial for the engineer, it is not always the case & they have to break the wall up.
    Second, when the engineer is using other software like RAM or Tekla, they need to use the analytical lines & many times these are not feasible with architectural walls. There's also a wall naming convention for use with RAM & Tekla that would cause a lot of headaches for the architectural team to work with.
    Third, typical designers/architects like variety in the look of a wall & tend to create a multi-stacked wall to show the varieties. While this is a nice component for architecture, the structure could care less. We need the walls separated for use. So for example you have a 2x6 steel/wood stud bearing wall with brick veneer wainscot & stucco up the wall, all the structural cares about is the bearing wall.
    With that, if the designer has layed out the wall with a Location Line at core face center, when we copy monitor the multi-stacked as our structural bearing wall, the wall is offset or centered per the Location Line settings from the architectural. We then have to go back & adjust every wall to line up with the architects model taking nearly twice as long than to simply trace over the architects model with our own walls.
    If we keep the architectural walls as they are, then we have to accept the parameters, naming, etc of everything the architect has put into their walls & it tends to get messy & very long in editing anything for structural use.

Having worked in an office with both Architectural & Structural services in-house, this setting would be the more appropriate setting for C/M but even then, if the designers side is not coordinating/communicating with the structural side then things go awry. Outside services communicate even less. It would take a great deal of give & take to get a wall system that works for both disciplines to be able to save a few hours C/Ming the project. And usually when you are C/Ming, it is usually a large scale project. To save a few hours over months if not years on the project is ... well, of very little value.

Current Local Time
    09:17 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I work on the sturctural end and only copy monitor levels and grids