Thread: Coordinates Family

Current Local Time
    07:27 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Coordinates Family

Hello All!!! I have searched and searched for some time now. I am looking for a family that's basically works like the Project Base Point. That allows multiple uses on a view and allows for Northing/Easting's input by a user to move to. I do a lot of site work and there are times I get a coordinates for a corner of the building or a pin in the yard and have to "Borrow" the Project Base Point (after drawing construction lines from it for my reference), do what I need to and then move back the Project Base Point.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thank You

Current Local Time
    01:27 PM

Hey there-

So, you can use a program (third party), or something like Dynamo, to place a family at specific coordinates... But there isnt really a way to build one that lets you type in the coordinates, as you are looking for. The PBP and SP arent really *families* per se, they are built in.

You CAN make a family that- if PLACED at the origin- you type the coordinates in to the properties palette, and one end of the family MOVES there, but its super nasty to work with, as they end up *covering* up the entire model. This is how i was handling some Setout related tasks, back in 2007, prior to Dynamo, the robustness of the API, and tools like APL: https://malleristicrevitation.blogsp...platforms.html

But that workflow sucks, by todays standards, and i wouldnt do it.

Current Local Time
    01:27 PM

If you have a specific family that you work with, you can move that family to a specific coordinate using Dynamo after it is placed or Dynamo can create the element and move it to a point for you. You can give yourself a dialog box to allow you to move to a point based on Northing, Easting. The API can read the PBP coordinates for you to use, if you so choose. All of that is possible, but you have to be able to work with Dynamo / API.

But, as mentioned, nothing pre-built and it would take some work on your end to get there.