Thread: Takeoff table assigns different names to object from the same fammily

Current Local Time
    06:01 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Takeoff table assigns different names to object from the same fammily

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum so please notify me of any faux pas i make ,

I received an IFC file from which I have to make a quantity takeoff. I thought revit would be a suitable program for that since it has the wondrrfull material takeoff function. But when i create a table i noticed that for some reason all elements have a different string of 6 numbers behind the family name.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	family   names.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	37053
    The yellow part is the name of the family the underlined part is the type that has been added to the family name for a reason i don't understand and at the end is the string of numbers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no family name.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	37054
    If i select said column the properties tab shows it isn't part of a family.

So my question is twofold is this a known issue with importing IFC moddels and are there any fixes for this problem
    secondly is there a way to let the takeoff schedule group together these slightly different named objects.

Thanks in advance for any new insights and my apologies if i asked a question that already has been answered.

P.s. sorry for the two extra attachements i could not see how to remove them after uploading
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails family names.PNG   family  names.PNG  

Current Local Time
    06:01 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hey all,

I posted the same question on another forum. The answers there gave me the insight that there are probably a few entries in the ifc file that aren't recognised by the standard entry mapping of revit. In order to create new entry mapping lines that are relevant I need to understand the IFC model beter and how the entries are classified.

I tried with notepad but that didn't give me that much insight. So my question would be, are there any good tools available for this. Alternatively if there is an easier aproach i would love to hear that.

Anyways thanks for your time
    Cheers

Last edited by MrKarzos; August 2nd, 2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: I left some redundant text