Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing door and frame type elevations?

Current Local Time
    11:36 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anyone doing door and frame type elevations?

This is not necessarily a revit question, but more of a documentation question.
    I used to for work for a firm long time a go that would do panel type elevations and frame type elevations...

Since then, I have not seen that done, and everywhere else I have gone has just shown the frame panel w the frame on the elevation (partly due to not knowing how to make revit do it).

At the last firm, even thought the door panels and frames where nested doors into the main door assembly family as I call it, we were okay showing frame and door together in the elevations. Door type A had a specific frame (we only did metal frames).

The only time I think we would do a frame elevation would be if the header on a HM frame were to be 4" vs 2" (face dim).

Looking to see what everyone else doing it - maybe I will go back to that.
    Last edited by Profoxcg; July 27th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.

Current Local Time

The firm I was with did separate frame and panel elevations/types. You are right that the information between a profiles of the frames are negligible in elevations (single rabbet, double, double egress, etc). However, when you start adding side-lights and transoms in the mix, having the separate frame types and their corresponding elevations makes it easy. Let the door schedule drive the jamb and head face dims.

When revamping the door schedule, frame and panel types, I found it very helpful to get an actual HM/Door submittal and look at how the information is broken down and presented.

Current Local Time

I am going to try to get a hold of that on Monday, thanks.

Current Local Time
    12:36 PM

Back in my days doing production work my firm used to do them. I always thought they were really un-necessary drawings, but old sets of drawings had them so we would do them on new sets of drawings. Back then I was just a dumb kid, so I just did what i was told and never really questioned why i was doing it.

Current Local Time

Well...that happens sometimes lol

Current Local Time
    05:36 PM

These days, because the whole assembly needs certification for various aspects (most notably fire rating) and because we need to supply design warranties it has become normal for us to specify doorsets rather than separate frame and door leaf. We would not see a need to do separate panel and frame elevations. I think that this is a normal practice across the sector in the UK.

Current Local Time

John that is an excellent point.
    Thank you for your input.

Current Local Time
    10:36 AM

We do the frame and panel elevations. This is certainly partially due to habit. They do have information that if we didn't include in the panel/frame elevations we'd have to find another way to communicate. Unless we have a masonry building (requiring the 2" vs 4" head and jambs) we typically only have the one standard HM frame, but we will have multiple storefront frames, and we document their sizing and spacing with the door frames (and identify the storefront frame in the door schedule). Door panels may appear in elevations, but the panel elevations indicate louver and glazing locations. We often have single and double leaf doors with the same pattern, so having a panel elevation communicates the information once.

So far it seems to have worked well, and matches what the contractors expect. I'd certainly be interested in other ways the information is being communicated.

Current Local Time
    10:36 AM

Yes. Separate door and frame elevations over here. I use the phasing method and have 2 separate elevation types that filter out the frames (for door types) or filters out the doors (for frame types).

Current Local Time
    09:36 AM

It just depends...

This is less of a Revit question than a practical question.

For 30 years, I have never done separate door and frame type elevations, because my project characteristics never required it. If there was a special door or 2 or 3, it got a full elevation.

Others may do the kind of work that totally requires a setup where the door and frame are individually described and scheduled.

It just depends...