Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Little Revit Things that Drive Me Crazy

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    09:29 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    No I mean I want what used to be called Press and Drag on... not disabled. It's the contrary opinion but I'm used to it and prefer it. I don't actually drag things all that often though, except for annotation.

Current Local Time
    12:29 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Man, I'm going to need some time to process this... Is this what they call feelings?

Current Local Time
    03:29 PM

When you turn on Temporary View Properties and 'Crop View', 'Crop Region Visible', 'Annotation Crop' & 'Scope Box' all become greyed out, so you need to turn off Temporary View Properties -and lose all your temporary customisations- just to adjust the Crop Region

Current Local Time
    10:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by corinoco View Post
    The 'Drag Elements On Selection Button' aka. "Ruin Your Project Forever"

I really want to know WHO ASKED FOR THIS? I want to high-five them. In the face. With a chair.

Why don't Autodesk be helpful and make the tooltip for this stupid little button 'RUINS EVERYTHING. This tool will ruin your life forever."

Oh, and thanks for making it ACTIVE in a default install.

Attachment 37874
    I'm glad there's a way to turn it off, but agree it shouldn't be on by default. I just did it by accident on a new Revit install, and was frustrated by it!

I don't think it should be an option for model elements - it's one think to drag an annotation, but model elements you should know why you are moving them, and by how much. If you aren't using dimensions to move an item, you should be moving it to allign with something or offsetting it from a location for a specific distance!

Current Local Time

My ongoing pet peeve is that Revit still won't allow a child family to control the parent. The child family needs to be able to tell the parent how it works in a numbe rof instances for it to work right. While information can be pushed with dynamo it isn't immediate enough when it changes how the family should look and isn't ideal in any case.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    09:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jmk View Post
    My ongoing pet peeve is that Revit still won't allow a child family to control the parent. The child family needs to be able to tell the parent how it works in a numbe rof instances for it to work right. While information can be pushed with dynamo it isn't immediate enough when it changes how the family should look and isn't ideal in any case.
    My first reaction, a Dad with two kids, yeah that's what I really need...a child telling me what to do.

My second reaction is: a couple of really specific examples of how this would play out, would help make sense of it...for me anyway.

Current Local Time

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    My first reaction, a Dad with two kids, yeah that's what I really need...a child telling me what to do.
    We could come up with separate terminology. Subcontractor and general contractor families? Program and computer? Think of it as reporting a fact (how tall is the child, and no, you can't change that parent because it is what it is, that info the parent can use as they need to)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    My second reaction is: a couple of really specific examples of how this would play out, would help make sense of it...for me anyway.
    This could be a thread of it's own!

The general examples are that "child" families should be able to report their type mark to the parent family, for use in scheduling. (Parent, report which children you have). A more specific example would the barn door family I'm building, which will end up with several track families. Ideally, each track family would tell the host family the centerline of the track, because that will be different in each track design. Then I could use that centerline distance to locate the door and its associated items correctly as the frame type is changed. Instead I have to track a potential mis-match and decide the lesser of modeling evils.
    Last edited by jmk; November 26th, 2019 at 01:20 AM. Reason: parentheses

Current Local Time
    12:29 AM

I find the quantity of non-trivial issues being posted to this thread troubling. Please refrain from referring to really ridiculous functional follies.

Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CRapai View Post
    I find the quantity of non-trivial issues being posted to this thread troubling. Please refrain from referring to really ridiculous functional follies.
    I thought that was the point of the thread? "Little things .... "