Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-theft in Revit

Current Local Time
    07:58 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anti-theft in Revit

The owner of my company does not want anyone to steal the families we have been creating. He has requested that I "explode" them before we share the model. Is there any way to do this? I thought about exporting to AutoCAD and then back to Revit. I also thought about exporting to Navisworks and then sharing that but I don't feel that either of these will be acceptable for this project.

Is there any way to do this?

Current Local Time
    01:58 AM

I'd try to talk him out of that attitude.
    Chances are your content is customized enough to your workflow that it's not as valuable to someone else as you might think.
    Anything lost by someone "stealing" your families will be FAR outweighed by the time it takes to mess around with your files & strip them down.

We decided many years ago not to worry about it and adopted the attitude that we'd be ahead of the game if the rest of the firms in our area ended up adopting our standards.

Current Local Time
    08:58 AM

For me being able to share your stuff is the best thing. I share my stuff so people can see what I have done a learn from it and other people share their stuff so I can learn from that. That being said, I think I have never just grabed a family from somebody else and just started using it. Mainly because what Dave says, they really don't fit my project setup and template most of the time and I really wanna know what I'm using and how it is made. I did use some geomitry once in a while, but always made my own family with it or at least cleaned it up a lot.

And if I was working with you and I got an Revit project exported to dwg and imported back into Revit as a project file from you I would most likely send it right back telling you to give me a proper file.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; August 13th, 2019 at 06:14 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:58 PM

Whatever approach you take will hinder not enhance a project's coordination or collaboration. It will create a negative impression of your firm's willingness to have a successful project. You could write up a collaborative agreement that clearly states content in your model is your property and only shared in the context of this project. If someone does take your content, whether an agreement exists or not, what is your firm prepared to do about it? Are you going to sue them, that's really the only path available. My experience over the last two decades? Your content is valuable to you and much less so to everyone else. If that were not true then we wouldn't have every firm on earth making their own door families.

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    11:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dlowery View Post
    The owner of my company does not want anyone to steal the families we have been creating. He has requested that I "explode" them before we share the model. Is there any way to do this? I thought about exporting to AutoCAD and then back to Revit. I also thought about exporting to Navisworks and then sharing that but I don't feel that either of these will be acceptable for this project.

Is there any way to do this?
    In my 9 years of production work using Revit, each and every project I did had an Architect's model used for background (linked). I can honestly say that I never used a family or any other content from an Architectural model in all that time. What I did was way to specialized to hope that someone else's family would work out the way I wanted or needed. Plus, I don't trust any one else's content. I made my own. Also of note is that in all of those Arch models I don't recall any of them ever having limited content or locks of any type. Locks on Revit families are like the locks on your front door. If someone wants to get in, they will. Best to not worry about it IMO

Current Local Time
    12:58 AM

I would be honored if somebody thought well enough of my families to steal them. There are so many bad families out there that anything that improves the overall quality of what is available should be encouraged. Otherwise crap like Revit City will continue to push for making Idiocracy the global standard.

Current Local Time
    02:58 AM

For most, doing projects in Revit is all about collaboration and coordination. If sharing your Revit model is not a condition of the project and you don't want to share your families, don't send them your models. Send them a different format as you have already alluded to. You will eventually start losing clients with this kind of attitude in the realm of Revit.

Current Local Time

Given how Shared Parameters work, every firm has library of them that's as unique as a fingerprint. You'll never get your schedules to work with them without swapping out every "foreign" Shared Parameter with one of your own. Maybe that's not a big deal architecturally but for MEP that's a huge deal. Ever seen an RTU schedule, or a fan powered VAV schedule? That's a lot of shared parameters. So far I've defined about 140 separate schedules and I'm still making new ones every week or so. Another thing is visibility.. I have a ton of custom parameters and View Filters set up to keep my M, E, P, and FP separated.

Anyone else's family is not going to work with the systems and workflows I've set up. When it comes to families, it's home-grown or nothing. I think every MEP user who's serious about Revit comes to this realization eventually.
    Last edited by Necro99; August 13th, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Necro99 View Post
    Given how Shared Parameters work, every firm has library of them that's as unique as a fingerprint. You'll never get your schedules to work with them without swapping out every "foreign" Shared Parameter with one of your own.

Anyone else's family is not going to work with the systems and workflows I've set up. When it comes to families, it's home-grown or nothing. I think every MEP user who's serious about Revit comes to this realization eventually.
    I was using an add-on for doing just this at a different firm that was quite good at doing this. RFTools.

Current Local Time
    01:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Necro99 View Post
    Given how Shared Parameters work, every firm has library of them that's as unique as a fingerprint. You'll never get your schedules to work with them without swapping out every "foreign" Shared Parameter with one of your own. Maybe that's not a big deal architecturally but for MEP that's a huge deal. Ever seen an RTU schedule, or a fan powered VAV schedule? That's a lot of shared parameters. So far I've defined about 140 separate schedules and I'm still making new ones every week or so. Another thing is visibility.. I have a ton of custom parameters and View Filters set up to keep my M, E, P, and FP separated.

Yeah, thats not true. You can export the Shared Parameter GUID's once you have the families. Takes two seconds, and doesnt even need an addin.