Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QA/QC review of Revit Models

Current Local Time
    10:49 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

QA/QC review of Revit Models

I know that this is a topic that has been brought up before, but I would like to reopen the discussion. We are an architecture firm, so avoid MEP and Structural items unless it has some bearing on the architectural

I am embarking on a quest to implement some QA/QC items into our revit and project processes and I am looking for input on the following:

How do you utilize schedules and Revit itself for QA/QC from a building design standpoint? What I mean by this is do you do code analysis, fixture counts, project checklists etc. Please provide images or files if you can.

How do you leverage QA/QC for model management and health? What I mean by this is what parameters do you check for model management, worsets, warnings, clashes, duplicates etc. Please provide examples and any metrics that you may use to justify what is good or bad etc.

Do you utilize any plug-ins, add-ins, dynamo or other 3rd party programs to do these QA/QC checks?

Any other suggestions on what to include. Ultimately I am just trying to compile a list of everything that I can think of that could and is measured or scheduled and later determine if it would hold value for us to look at too.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Current Local Time
    09:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dtp81390 View Post
    How do you utilize schedules and Revit itself for QA/QC from a building design standpoint? What I mean by this is do you do code analysis, fixture counts, project checklists etc. Please provide images or files if you can.
    Occupancy Calculations are all automated in an Area Schedule.
    Fixtures Required and Provided are all automated (in an area schedule for requirements, in normal schedules for provided).

I dont put Project Checklists in Revit.

How do you leverage QA/QC for model management and health? What I mean by this is what parameters do you check for model management, worsets, warnings, clashes, duplicates etc. Please provide examples and any metrics that you may use to justify what is good or bad etc.
    Model Warnings- Dynamo kicks them all out to Excel.
    Model Alignments- Dynamo kicks out the Coordinate placement options for every linked file, to Excel.
    Project Units- Dynamo kicks them all out to Excel, to review the settings

In-Place Components- Dynamo kicks them all out to Excel, (names and counts)
    Family Components- Dynamo kicks them all out to Excel, (names and counts)
    Imported CAD artifacts- Dynamo kicks them all out to Excel, (names and counts)

Annotation Accuracies- Dimension Styles in use on sheets, and units settings- Names, counts, what view/sheet they are in/on.
    Overridden Dimensions- What the overrides say- Also what view/sheet they are in/on

Text Notes- Report every text note, what it says, and what view/sheet its in/on.

View Types- Check the View Name and View Type of all views on sheets (Check that wall sections, plan details, and section details, arent drafting views).

Coordination Settings- Check to see if consultants models are visible in views and view templates.

Do you utilize any plug-ins, add-ins, dynamo or other 3rd party programs to do these QA/QC checks?

Ours is a Dynamo Graph that runs, and reports all of this information to Excel. There is still a bunch of *manual checking* that MUST be done with human eyes. I personally do not believe a FULLY automated audit exists, that does (what i consider) a good job. All of the information above is just a list that indicates what needs to be checked manually.

Current Local Time

Thanks for the input, would you be willing to share your Graph?

And to clarify I am not trying to have things completely automated, the intent was to export to excel and check things manually.

Current Local Time

I wont be sharing that particular graph. Sorry.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I wont be sharing that particular graph. Sorry.
    Thanks, any screen shots, I would really like to understand how this information gets to Dynamo. I have written some scripts but nothing like this, and I was hoping to have light shed on how to query for this information.

If not I understand, just thought I would ask. Any special packages that you use that would aid in creating this script.

Current Local Time

I have screenshots in a handout, from a class that was taught at BILT Australia. But that class covered a lot of material, and it isnt completely fair to give away the materials, when people pay to attend and learn. I think- after a year (or something)- they make them available to everyone else. So next year.

Why dont we start with what you have tried so far in Dynamo, so everyone else on the forum can also learn through the experience? Me just *posting images of a graph* gives people stuff to copy and paste, but doesnt teach what we are doing wrong, or doing right.

Current Local Time

Understandable. I haven't started a graph yet, I am just doing the research now to get an idea of what we want to include in our QA/QC process. But I can certainly post it when I get to it.

Current Local Time

I would post what questions and roadblocks you run in to, once you start. Easier to help then.

Current Local Time
    04:49 PM

I have a bunch of schedules in my template to check stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revit check.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	37241

No need for Dynamo or any plugin for those (well technically the mirrored windws do need dynamo to fill in the data in de windows).

And have this one to check some general data in the project placed on my starting view, which does need a Dynamo script to fill in the data.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	project information.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	37242
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; August 20th, 2019 at 05:16 PM.

Current Local Time
    08:49 AM

I've been starting to create a view to review glass types in complex models. This particular model only used curtain walls, so the model just had the slabs and the windows, with overridden colors based on glass type. It was much easier to QC the glass in context. Once I standardize the settings I'll work the view into our template.