0 0%
  • what is a poll?

1 100.00%

Thread: New To Revit Experience In AutoCAD MEP

Current Local Time
    11:50 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

New To Revit Experience In AutoCAD MEP

I have a model with already inserted light fixtures for placing in RCP.
    For some of them I can see elevation, for some of them the elevations are not shown.
    I know is a lot to read and learn, but is there a quick way to take control of these light fixture and place them in the right location and at the right elevation?
    I could do this in AutoCAD very easy.
    Now I am forced to use Revit.
    I need to make 20th floor look good. If you take a look in 20th fl 3D and make a front view, you will see fixture at the highest elevation, in properties at 9'-0" and fixtures at the middle elevation shown the same 9'-0" in properties. I know it has something to do with reference plan or work plan.
    My file is 75 MB, I cannot upload it, not sure because of the size. I there any way to drop it in a dropbox?
    Please help.

Conny

Current Local Time

It's easy in Revit, too. You just have to find out how they got where they are.
    There are a lot of possibilities here.
    It mostly depends on how the Light Fixture families were created and how they were placed.
    Light fixtures can be "Ceiling Hosted", so if they were placed on a specific Ceiling element, that could account for the differences.
    Since you say they both read 9'-0", however, I'd guess that they are place on different Levels. Check the "Associated Level" parameter of each of the Lights.
    You may have to Cut them from one Level and Paste to the correct level.

Or ask the person you got the model from.

As far as your comment about being "forced to use Revit", I'd recommend getting some training in Revit.
    Nothing is going to be easy if you don't know how the program works.

Current Local Time

Not that easy

I totaly agree that I need training...
    I would like to find the best tutorials.
    About my model, I ended up moving the light fixtures manually in plans and sections, as someone suggested me.
    Now, how can I have control of elevations, i want to now the elevation of every fixture if I click on it and look to the properties. Even they were inserted in different plans or RCPs I don't see the elevation of those. And I should be able to change the elevations right away I I am in a coordination meeting. I would like to turn all light fixtures in individual fixtures not associated or host and have the properties available to be modified.
    Please see attached some snap shots of my model to see the props of the light fixtures. I Capture4, I circled LEVEL 20, I set yp thatas a Work Plane just to be able to move fixtures vertical, so I don't know what is doing from now on in the model.
    So far, I don't see the advantage for Revit vs AutoCAD.
    Thanks a lot.

Conny

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    It's easy in Revit, too. You just have to find out how they got where they are.
    There are a lot of possibilities here.
    It mostly depends on how the Light Fixture families were created and how they were placed.
    Light fixtures can be "Ceiling Hosted", so if they were placed on a specific Ceiling element, that could account for the differences.
    Since you say they both read 9'-0", however, I'd guess that they are place on different Levels. Check the "Associated Level" parameter of each of the Lights.
    You may have to Cut them from one Level and Paste to the correct level.

Or ask the person you got the model from.

As far as your comment about being "forced to use Revit", I'd recommend getting some training in Revit.
    Nothing is going to be easy if you don't know how the program works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture2.JPG   Capture1.JPG   Capture3.JPG   Capture4.JPG  

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by User_2011 View Post
    I could do this in AutoCAD very easy.
    Now I am forced to use Revit.
    Can you switch to another project that is using AutoCAD? This sounds painful, being forced to do something.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; August 20th, 2019 at 11:28 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by User_2011 View Post
    Conny
    Hey Conny-

With respect: You arent going to see the advantages (at all) on this project. Youve jumped in, under deadlines, and assumed youll be able to just *figure it out* and stay on top of your normal workload. Simply put: That isnt a realistic expectation.

Its absolutely possible for you to have light fixtures where you can just click in the properties panel, and edit their height: Youll need unhosted fixtures, all assigned to the proper level.

Right now, we dont know if you have that (but i doubt it, if you hare having to fuss with work planes, my guess is yours are all face based).

Simply put: If this is your first revit project, and the intent is for you to "suffer through it" without any real training, you are going to be miserable. ESPECIALLY if everything in your MEP file is Face Based or Ceiling Hosted. Ouch.

Current Local Time
    06:50 PM

Do the best you can but If things do fail you need to have a backup plan to deliver drawings and 3d model (on time) Keywords are pragmatism and responsibility.

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    09:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Can you switch to another project that is using AutoCAD? This sounds painful, being forced to do something.
    or maybe the OP could get some quality Revit tutoring? I happen to know a very good Revit tutor

Current Local Time
    12:50 PM

Jumping into the middle of a project is NOT a good way to learn and do what you are asking. It's possible that the person that was working on it before you was not very good and used some bad practices to get the job done. This is going to lead to a ton of confusion on your part. As someone without any training, it is totally unreasonable for you to be expected to be able just jump into the deep end and make modifications without any guidance.

You need to be able to understand what the fixtures are hosted to (levels, ceilings, workplanes, faces) and what parameters are affecting their placement in relation to their hosts. They can also be hosted to elements in an architectural link. Not easy for a beginner who might be facing a mixed bag of tricks.