Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to model foundation concrete piles

Current Local Time
    09:47 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    As I said, you can "work around" issues you create by using the wrong category, or you can just use the correct category and save yourself all the rework in remapping, creating new filters, modifying view templates, creating shared parameters and the like.

Yes you can do it, the question is more why bother doing it when there is little benefit to it?

I have never needed to produce a graphic pile schedule. Which is about the only benefit I can see out of using a column instead of a pile family.
    Would you say start a custom concrete pile family off the steel pipe foundation pile family? Meaning creating a copy of the steel pile and modifying its properties?

Current Local Time
    12:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by kcabrera3 View Post
    Would you say start a custom concrete pile family off the steel pipe foundation pile family? Meaning creating a copy of the steel pile and modifying its properties?
    I would not, mainly because there are a bunch of parameters in there that are entirely useless for a circular concrete pile.
    In addition you have multiple types to change the steel profile size all of which you would need to delete before proceeding. The metal profiles are run off a "catalogue" file, that you don't need for a concrete pile. As a general rule I try to create all my families from scratch that way I know there is no chance of something being hidden in the background that I was not aware of. Sometimes you end up with some other offices name buried deep in a family that you do not see or find and it stays with your family for eternity. I prefer to start fresh that way there are no nasty surprises later. And I know exactly who is responsible if it doesn't work. Sometimes also you spend way more time trying to figure out how or why someone else did it a certain way than if you just do what you need yourself. Reverse-engineering families is a useful exercise but only to figure out how it was done...try to always start your own families fresh

Create a new family, choose the "generic model (metric)" template, and immediately change the category to "foundation"
    Then I would create any additional shared parameters I might need to report (design loads etc)
    Then I would go about creating reference planes to adjust the depth, and size of the geometry.
    Make sure I set the material properly for my element.
    Then I would go about modelling the geometry and locking it to my preset reference planes
    Create dimensions and set them to parameters to control the depth, and diameter for example.
    Test it.
    Load it into a blank project (or template) file to test it, and load in and assign all of the shared parameters I created for that family to "foundations"
    Then I would test the functionality of those parameters (ie input text, create a schedule to report them and see that they perform the task intended)
    The procedure would be the same if you were going to use a column family. The choice is yours. I would say don't use columns but thats me.
    Last edited by Karalon10; August 30th, 2019 at 08:39 AM.

Current Local Time
    02:47 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalon10 View Post
    As I said, you can "work around" issues you create by using the wrong category, or you can just use the correct category and save yourself all the rework in remapping, creating new filters, modifying view templates, creating shared parameters and the like.

Yes you can do it, the question is more why bother doing it when there is little benefit to it?

I have never needed to produce a graphic pile schedule. Which is about the only benefit I can see out of using a column instead of a pile family.
    Actually there is another fairly major benefit in modeling the piles as columns, especially if the piles are part of a non-standard pile cap, but this benefit is only for those who use their Revit model for structural analysis as well.
    If you send your Revit model to Robot SA and the piles are modeled as structural foundations you will get a single fixed boundary conditions where your pile cap insertion point is. This might not even coincide with the column bottom node. To obtain the pile loads and bending moment/shear forces in the pile cap you have to create a separate model and apply the reactions you obtained in that fixed node, or do a hand calculation (bleah)

However, if you model your piles as columns, you will have analytical sticks for each individual piles and if you model the pile cap as a slab you will get an analytical membrane so you can obtain your pile loads and pile cap forces directly from the main model.

I don't know why Revit developers chose the analytical behavior of structural foundations to be like this, but I hate it.

Current Local Time
    02:47 PM

A key for me is to lower a steel reinforcement cage into the tube.