Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fabrication Parts and Service

Current Local Time
    09:20 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fabrication Parts and Service

how do you change the service type on the fabrication parts or add your own, all I see is 'ductwork 2500pa etc.' but seen you can have supply and return etc.. as you normally would.

am I missing something or have to download something to add this?

Current Local Time
    02:20 PM

Click the settings box in the lower right corner of the Fab Parts dialog, reload the configuration and then add from left to right the additional services you need. If two services use the same service template, a fab part object can have services swapped in the properties palette, otherwise you have to use the actual change service command in the contextual ribbon.

If, after you reload the configuration, you don't have the additional services you need, then you have to edit the configuration database using CADmep inside of AutoCAD. Then welcome to a whole new world...
    Last edited by TFuller; September 3rd, 2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: terminology

Current Local Time

where do you get new databases from, new manufacture parts, I think ive opned a can of worms looking into this - but then again might be more beneificial to us using fab parts as we do more coordinating in revit then designing.

do you find fab parts workflow is slower or just same as using normal revit parts?

cheers

Current Local Time

Do you have Fabrication CADmep installed for AutoCAD? Essentially, without that I do not believe there is anything else you can do to modify or further develop what you have. You have to have a method for editing the database. Revit alone does not offer you that function.

Since I have been using "Fab Parts" since 2009 (before ADSK purchased MAP-Software), I'm decent at the whole thing overall. I have found that teaching new Reviteers to use FAB parts has been more successful than generic Revit OOTB content (SysQue notwithstanding). FAB Parts is generally more "stable" in the Revit environment than the generic fittings and systems that tend to redefine themselves often. Stuff doesn't just reset instance parameters.

Note: This is a very complicated topic to discuss. Crazy complicated. In no way should anyone take what I've written as gospel without doing further investigation of their own. This is a serious fork-in-the-road undertaking. Both paths have value.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by TFuller View Post
    Do you have Fabrication CADmep installed for AutoCAD? Essentially, without that I do not believe there is anything else you can do to modify or further develop what you have. You have to have a method for editing the database. Revit alone does not offer you that function.

Since I have been using "Fab Parts" since 2009 (before ADSK purchased MAP-Software), I'm decent at the whole thing overall. I have found that teaching new Reviteers to use FAB parts has been more successful than generic Revit OOTB content (SysQue notwithstanding). FAB Parts is generally more "stable" in the Revit environment than the generic fittings and systems that tend to redefine themselves often. Stuff doesn't just reset instance parameters.

Note: This is a very complicated topic to discuss. Crazy complicated. In no way should anyone take what I've written as gospel without doing further investigation of their own. This is a serious fork-in-the-road undertaking. Both paths have value.
    I noticed some of the piping is manufacture specific, wondered if you could get other manufactures items in fab parts?

cheers

Yes got the cadmep and installed some of the content metric 7. something - I have had a little play with it, just wondering in say piping services are all the valves and equipment there that you will need, and in ducting can you still connect to say air terminals that are not fab parts?
    Last edited by nick_h; September 19th, 2019 at 07:15 PM.

Current Local Time

Content:
    You can download additional parts from ADSK. With CADmep open in Autocad, right-click, go to CADmep, Utilities, Download Content.

Also consider looking at third-party suppliers such as Trimble's Constructible Content (aka Building-Data), eVolve MEP (Applied Software) and Virtual Building Supply.

You can build from scratch your own content based on CIDs, but sometimes it's best to copy something similar and start adjusting numbers. Choosing the right CID can be challenging when you are new. XtraCAD.com has some nice lists of which CIDs are compatible. As you dig into FAB databases even more that forum will be a great resource since it's been around for a long time and loads of great information is available.

Duct:
    Yes - use Revit's air terminals, flex duct, and equipment. Use FAB Parts for hard duct and (most) duct accessories. Air Systems will no longer be design data through-connected like you were used to, but they are physically connected so tab-select still works. Air Systems will only consist of the mechanical equipment, the flex, and air terminal. Still manageable.

Current Local Time

Content:
    You can download additional parts from ADSK. With CADmep open in Autocad, right-click, go to CADmep, Utilities, Download Content.

Also consider looking at third-party suppliers such as Trimble's Constructible Content (aka Building-Data), eVolve MEP (Applied Software) and Virtual Building Supply.

You can build from scratch your own content based on CIDs, but sometimes it's best to copy something similar and start adjusting numbers. Choosing the right CID can be challenging when you are new. XtraCAD.com has some nice lists of which CIDs are compatible. As you dig into FAB databases even more that forum will be a great resource since it's been around for a long time and loads of great information is available.

Duct:
    Yes - use Revit's air terminals, flex duct, and equipment. Use FAB Parts for hard duct and (most) duct accessories. Air Systems will no longer be design data through-connected like you were used to, but they are physically connected so tab-select still works. Air Systems will only consist of the mechanical equipment, the flex, and air terminal. Still manageable.
    Ah thanks for the info, going to have to a delv deeper into this. Iĺm sure Iĺll be back with more questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Content:

Duct:

Ive managed to get the fabmep libraries in revit now, but realised there is more when in autocad how do you get them also? i see there is more valves and manufactured parts than what i can see and use in revit.

Current Local Time

To add additional parts directly in Revit, you can use the Fabrication Parts settings dialog to add directly from your library:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	37514

In CADmep, add the items to the service using the Service Database dialog and edit the service template:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/FABRI...5-B42D5D15D01F

Current Local Time

To add additional parts directly in Revit, you can use the Fabrication Parts settings dialog to add directly from your library:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	37514

In CADmep, add the items to the service using the Service Database dialog and edit the service template:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/FABRI...5-B42D5D15D01F

Doesn't look like that on mine, do you have to be in newer verision than 2018?

cheers