Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fabrication Parts and Service

Current Local Time
    04:01 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The services, once loaded, stay in the project. However, another user cannot add services that you have created if the services you created only live on your hard drive in your default database.

Here's your plan:

1. Identify the best year setup you've made the most or best changes to that you want to keep and use as the basis for the company standard.
    2. Go to that folder (I'm assuming it's on your laptop) and copy it and its contents. C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 20XX\XXX You are likely using the Revit Imperial or Metric folder, but if you have CADmep installed on your laptop, you may have another Imperial and Metric that the AutoCAD version ships.
    3. Create a nice little spot on the network and paste that good folder and its contents. It should have a lot of stuff in it.
    4. You've now placed a copy of the whole database (your future company standard) onto the network, but none of your software knows to go find it there.
    5. Rename the folder you just placed on the network to something good like COMPANY_FABRICATION_METRIC or similar.
    Last edited by TFuller; October 16th, 2019 at 05:54 PM.

Current Local Time

You should now have something like X:\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC and inside that folder on your network is a bunch of stuff including folders named BACKUP and DATABASE and ITEMS, etc.

Now, go back to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2018 and create a folder inside it with the same name as the folder on the network, ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC.

Do this for each year of Revit that you have installed
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2018\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2019\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2020\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC

Grab the MAP.ini file from the network ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC folder and place it in EACH of the local ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC folders.

Last edited by TFuller; October 16th, 2019 at 06:13 PM.

Current Local Time
    10:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TFuller View Post
    You should now have something like X:\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC and inside that folder on your network is a bunch of stuff including folders named BACKUP and DATABASE and ITEMS, etc.

Now, go back to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2018 and create a folder inside it with the same name as the folder on the network, ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC.

Do this for each year of Revit that you have installed
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2018\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2019\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2020\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC

Grab the MAP.ini file from the network ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC folder and place it in EACH of the local ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC folders.

Getting there, I guess I will have to do this on a local storage drive are company network is cloud based, 'sharepoint'

Current Local Time

Run the Edit Configuration for 2018. It should be under Fabrication CADmep 2018 in your start button list.

Click the "New" button in the top right corner. Browse to the local folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Fabrication 2018\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC. The program should inherit the folder name as the new configuration name.

Since you just pasted the MAP.ini folder in there, you shouldn't get any "Empty Configuration" errors.

On the Program Paths tab, you are now able to repath all the folders listed in the MAP.INI to the network location rather than the OOTB local location. Main should look to the local ABC_FABRICATION_FOLDER, but all others should start with your network path and end with that corresponding folder.

Repeat this process for 2019 and 2020 using each year's edit Configuration tool.

Using this separate program is what allows Revit to see the new configurations. Simply creating the folder structure is NOT enough. If you don't have the Edit Configuration tool (i.e. most Revit users without CADmep installed), you will have to manually edit the MAP.ini and manually edit your registry.
    Last edited by TFuller; October 16th, 2019 at 06:22 PM.

Current Local Time

Additional notes:

1. SHAREPOINT?!?!?!?!?! Haven't tried it - no idea if that will even work. I've used drive letter mapping and server name mapping successfully though, so if you can find a way to trick it...
    2. Once a configuration is loaded into a Revit project file it is STUCK there until you purge and delete everything related to it. Delete all parts and purge all services. Then you can choose a different configuration.
    3. There may be way more elegant ways to do this, I do not claim is the best or greatest.

Summary:

1. Each year of Revit and/or CADmep requires a local configuration folder that holds at minimum the MAP.ini file.
    2. The MAP.ini file can redirect you to a shared location that all years can read.
    3. Edit Configuration can help considerably, because manually can be challenging.

Current Local Time

So your custom database will be available year to year? think I will have to do this in the morning when my mind is fresh.

I assume also there will be fab parts in 2019 that wont be available in 2018 say?

share point is a cloud based network think its Microsoft,its abit like onedrive cloud storage
    Last edited by nick_h; October 16th, 2019 at 06:38 PM.

Current Local Time

Yes - the networked shared database will be available from year to year so long as you create the additional local files and copy the map.ini file from the previous year (cause it's already filled out correctly). So when 20xB comes out, copy the local working 20xA\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC folder and place it in the 20xB folder. Run the 20xB Edit Configuration program choosing the newly created 20xB\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC FOLDER and when you see the Program Paths tab, it should already be set (since you copied a working MAP.ini file).

There is a running list of CIDs and their compatibility with Revit versions at http://www.darrenjyoung.com/resource...pport-history/
    Darren is a database management boss. If ADSK creates a new CID, it would likely not be compatible with prior Revit versions. They have generally been adding CIDs to the Revit-compatible list. There generally isn't a 2019 vs 2018 CID or ITM. I believe it's all about ADSK adding the code to Revit to allow the CID to function in Revit.

I'm familiar with Sharepoint, we used it a my last place, just never tried hosting a database on it. I've never heard anything good about it though...

Current Local Time

Yes - the networked shared database will be available from year to year so long as you create the additional local files and copy the map.ini file from the previous year (cause it's already filled out correctly). So when 20xB comes out, copy the local working 20xA\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC folder and place it in the 20xB folder. Run the 20xB Edit Configuration program choosing the newly created 20xB\ABC_FABRICATION_METRIC FOLDER and when you see the Program Paths tab, it should already be set (since you copied a working MAP.ini file).

There is a running list of CIDs and their compatibility with Revit versions at http://www.darrenjyoung.com/resource...pport-history/
    Darren is a database management boss. If ADSK creates a new CID, it would likely not be compatible with prior Revit versions. They have generally been adding CIDs to the Revit-compatible list. There generally isn't a 2019 vs 2018 CID or ITM. I believe it's all about ADSK adding the code to Revit to allow the CID to function in Revit.

I'm familiar with Sharepoint, we used it a my last place, just never tried hosting a database on it. I've never heard anything good about it though...
    the bad things with share point being not being able to run Revit work sharing by any chance? we are going to be using BIM360 for this, and possibly getting a small network drive for local projects

Current Local Time

For all the viewers watching at home, What's a CID? It's the base template for the creation of regular content, kind of like a hard-coded family template or family category.

The IDEA of a tee is a CID. You use the same CID to create multiple versions (*.itm files) of tees for all the various piping products out in the world, such as soldered copper, grooved, welded, etc.

Current Local Time

For all the viewers watching at home, What's a CID? It's the base template for the creation of regular content, kind of like a hard-coded family template or family category.

The IDEA of a tee is a CID. You use the same CID to create multiple versions (*.itm files) of tees for all the various piping products out in the world, such as soldered copper, grooved, welded, etc.
    My head hurts haha!