Thread: Taggiing Groups Revit 2019

Current Local Time
    06:47 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Taggiing Groups Revit 2019

I will be starting a 4 story mixed use building. It has 3 stories of apartments and partial main floor retail. I'm planning on using groups for each apartment type. I was thinking that I'd keep a copy of each apartment group separated from the model (as in off to the side) as to make it easier for potential editing. I would then just use rooms at those set of groups as I don't need every apartment bedroom in a schedule. BUT, I would like to be able to tag the group in the main model as maybe the level and type. example if its on the 3rd floor and type B2 the tag would read 3-B2. Or I might use apartment number and type. I cannot fnd anywhere that tagging a group parameter is possible.
    thoughts?
    Last edited by bx2350; September 5th, 2019 at 08:16 PM.

Current Local Time
    12:47 AM

You cannot tag groups.

But it's possible that you don't include the rooms in the groups, and add the floor and type as parameters to rooms, and you tag the rooms.

Maybe use assemblies instead of groups, you can tag assemblies, but you will loose element information inside assemblies, as revit handles assemblies as one element not separate elements as in groups: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...E68A5-htm.html You can explode assemblies later when you need this information.

Another possible workflow:
    Create the apartments as separate files not as group. You can link the apartments multiple times to the master file (just copy the link and save it's location), the master project will have multiple survey point for each apartments. Do not create the rooms in the links but in the master and tag the rooms. (you cannot tag links also)

Pros for this workflow: You cannot accidentally modify a group and you won't get the error message about modifying a group instance

Cons: You won't have nice wall joins. And if you want to edit the master and the link concurrently you have to start a new revit instance, as you can't edit the host and the link in the same session at the same time. Or unload while editing the links.
    Last edited by infeeeee; September 6th, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

Current Local Time
    12:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by infeeeee View Post
    You cannot tag groups.

But it's possible that you don't include the rooms in the groups, and add the floor and type as parameters to rooms, and you tag the rooms.

Maybe use assemblies instead of groups, you can tag assemblies, but you will loose element information inside assemblies, as revit handles assemblies as one element not separate elements as in groups: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...E68A5-htm.html You can explode assemblies later when you need this information.

Another possible workflow:
    Create the apartments as separate files not as group. You can link the apartments multiple times to the master file (just copy the link and save it's location), the master project will have multiple survey point for each apartments. Do not create the rooms in the links but in the master and tag the rooms. (you cannot tag links also)

Pros for this workflow: You cannot accidentally modify a group and you won't get the error message about modifying a group instance

Cons: You won't have nice wall joins. And if you want to edit the master and the link concurrently you have to start a new revit instance, as you can't edit the host and the link in the same session at the same time. Or unload while editing the links.
    One other negative. using the apartments as separate files. you can't tag the doors with unique references within the host file. eg the bedroom door in the linked file is called D101. Every instance of that link, you can only tag that door with D101. We usually like every one of our doors to have a unique reference.

Current Local Time
    06:47 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Definitely Groups.

And you can tag them if you place a family meant to be the *tag* within the group. Takes two seconds.

Everything about Links for MF, sucks.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    04:47 PM

How do you do this???