Thread: Deck Display Thickness (Gage)

Current Local Time
    04:25 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Deck Display Thickness (Gage)

Hello all,

I'm new to modeling concrete on metal deck floors. I noticed that, when cutting a section parallel to the deck span, Revit displays the thickness of the deck (e.g. the deck gage) much thicker than the Thickness parameter specified in the deck profile. For example, most of the default steel deck profiles have a 1/32" Thickness (see image below), yet they are displayed at almost exactly 10% of the deck rib height (e.g. 0.2" for a 2" deck, 0.3" for a 3" deck, etc.Śsee second image below). Is there any way to reduce the display thickness of the metal deck or maybe to just not show those additional lines at all and just show the top and bottom lines of the deck rib? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deck Profile Thickness.png   Deck Display Thickness.png  

Current Local Time
    05:25 PM

so i have never actully dimensioned this but the 45deg. slope at the end is what your are seeing is it 3/16"

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    so i have never actully dimensioned this but the 45deg. slope at the end is what your are seeing is it 3/16"
    Very good question. I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, that doesn't look to be the case, because: (1) on every deck I've checked, the gap is exactly 10" of the deck height (e.g. on a 2" deck, the gap is 51/256"~0.2"); and (2) as a test, I created an abnormally large deck profile (8" tall) without those 45░ lips on the ends and the gap still shows up and is once again 10% (0.8"). Thanks for your input!

Current Local Time
    11:25 AM

Ive never been able to work out how to change the distance; I think its just there as a visual reference.
    What I have worked out is how to turn them off - and its not obvious.
    The continuous line at the top and the dashed line at the base designating the thickness of the deck are actually controlled by the "Line" category!
    "Thin Lines" for the continuous one and "Overhead" for the dashed one - very strange
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decklines.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	37659
    Last edited by Alex Page; October 17th, 2019 at 09:02 PM.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    02:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page
    I think its just there as a visual reference.
    Yes I don't think it is trying to show the actual distance in this case. Most of the time that distance might be too small to see? I've never seen anything that formally explains it though.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Ive never been able to work out how to change the distance; I think its just there as a visual reference.
    What I have worked out is how to turn them off - and its not obvious.
    The continuous line at the top and the dashed line at the base designating the thickness of the deck are actually controlled by the "Line" category!
    "Thin Lines" for the continuous one and "Overhead" for the dashed one - very strange
    That's interesting how those line categories control the display of those lines. Regardless, that's a good enough solution for me, as I was having to draw white lines on top of them to mask them, so this is much easier. Thanks Alex!

Current Local Time
    08:25 AM

the deck profile is drawn using a "profile" in the revit families. Your profile will not adapt to changes in the deck thickness, you will need to specify the correct profile, and so in your type properties you will need to manage that the correct profile is being used for each different slab thickness.