Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RFO Benchmark v3.2 2020 results

Current Local Time
    01:18 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    You got a Ryzen 3000 series for your new workstation?
    Upgrading for a what might have been overclocked 6700k, would never really make a massive difference in Revit, with bigger projects, the program just slows down, even on the best systems. Revit just isn't fully using your system to its full potential.

Yep. I know. My old 6700k workstation, I really didn't overclock. I only do OCs if the system will be for my personal use. But workstations, I don't OC them. The only thing that justifies the existence of this new workstation in our office is, rendering wise, this will be a beast. Problem is, we don't do renderings that much. If my boss is reading this, he's gonna kill me. LOL!

Can't go back now though. I'm sticking with this workstation for a while. I'll probably just start rendering projects and put them on a title sheet or something.

Current Local Time
    11:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuma View Post
    Yep. I know. My old 6700k workstation, I really didn't overclock. I only do OCs if the system will be for my personal use. But workstations, I don't OC them. The only thing that justifies the existence of this new workstation in our office is, rendering wise, this will be a beast. Problem is, we don't do renderings that much. If my boss is reading this, he's gonna kill me. LOL!

Can't go back now though. I'm sticking with this workstation for a while. I'll probably just start rendering projects and put them on a title sheet or something.
    Actually, I would try messing with AMD's Ryzen Master Software and enable Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO). It may help you hold the boost clocks higher for longer. I have not messed with it yet because all of my clients were using parallel work loads and my Windows installs are set up for OOBE, customer would need to enable it on their own but for you it may help.

Along with that, 3600mhz RAM is the sweet spot from all the research I have done on 3rd gen Ryzen but the very last 3950x build I did had 3200mhz RAM per client request and it did not bench very differently; I just did not run RFO since it was a software dev system.

Revit is very single thread focused so anything you can get will help. If it were me I would still run a stress test with PBO enabled but it really is not overclocking but more like changing behavior of boost clocks.

The 9900k is still king for Revit; usually stock they are in the low 88-92 second range and with the boost clock tune I do they are usually mid 80 second RFO2020 results, think page 1 I have my 9900k results in this topic but the 3950x is the best AMD offering for Revit due to the highest clock speeds of the lineup.

Please keep us posted if you manage to get more performance out of it! BTW AMAZING systems lol The only themed case mod I have ever done was for NZXT at the Rocket League Championships in Los Angeles. It was the first one held and I made their Manta case look like a vehicle from the game. I need to find the pics, was fun but short time line to complete. Had to quote a system once that could mix RedBull and Vodka while be able to be used as a system haha, I put a quote together but that particular client decided against it due to legal liability of using it at an event (thankfully, was gonna be a stressful build).

Ryzen Master Software:
    https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

3.    #43
    Current Local Time
    07:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Modderhoop View Post
    .................................. because really, a 1k P4000 PNY is just stupid to buy, its a pretty weak GPU that almost falls into the 2080ti league.

I recommended the following specs to them, if you guys know any better CPU or GPU's for Revit please let me know:
    i7 9700k, i9 9900(k)(s), I7 8086k
    32/64GB 2666/3200mhz
    GTX 1070(ti), GTX 1660s, RTX 2060
    1TB Samsung 970 (evo(plus)(pro), or WD SN750
    No HDD
    Well if you want to use, for instance, Revit with Enscape or use Sketchup and or Enscape and go with nvidia AND want to work remotely with windows RDP then you need quadro cards because nvidia does not allow openGL 4.x over windows remote desktop if you use rtx/gtx gaming cards.
    AMD gaming cards do work with windows remote desktop according to some users on the enscape forum (haven't tested it myself).

There is a difficult way to "hack" the quadro driver to allow some rtx/gtx cards according to Guru3D

4.    #44
    Current Local Time
    01:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by mdingemanse View Post
    Well if you want to use, for instance, Revit with Enscape or use Sketchup and or Enscape and go with nvidia AND want to work remotely with windows RDP then you need quadro cards because nvidia does not allow openGL 4.x over windows remote desktop if you use rtx/gtx gaming cards.
    AMD gaming cards do work with windows remote desktop according to some users on the enscape forum (haven't tested it myself).

There is a difficult way to "hack" the quadro driver to allow some rtx/gtx cards according to Guru3D
    With respect: If you work remotely enough that RDP is actually a consideration when you buy machines, you need to look at a real Remoting solution. RDP sucks, even with GPU.

5.    #45
    Current Local Time
    08:18 AM

The only programs we use are:
    - Revit
    - AutoCad
    - Solibri
    - Office (mostly excel and word)
    - browser
    - pdf viewer
    Thats really about it, we do not design or render anything. Only pretty simple stuff really.
    We do not use remote desktop either.

Actually quite a few of people here still work with machines that only have 4gb of RAM, running win10. so thats why we are upgrading to new computers with the insane amount that is 16gb..... so that we can upgrade again in a few years while the rest of the pc is still fine...
    Even using just 1 instance of solibri and revit at once just totally fills 16gb.

Little update:
    Today i took out the 1tb hdd, because it was making very annoying noises, guess the mount just sucks, so no im only running a 230gb ssd... It was stupid to have it in there anyway.
    Last edited by Modderhoop; March 10th, 2020 at 05:23 PM.

6.    #46
    Current Local Time
    07:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    With respect: If you work remotely enough that RDP is actually a consideration when you buy machines, you need to look at a real Remoting solution. RDP sucks, even with GPU.
    We sometimes work at home and with fiber-internet we reach up/down 500/500 so the bandwith is more then enough to see almost no lag when working with revit over rdp, at home. Even youtube video's play smoothely!
    At the office we mostly take over, via rdp, other workstations to show sketchup/revit 3d buildings, realtime renderings with enscape, etc, etc, at a big screen. This works very good at the moment.
    We are a small architecture firm with only 7 people, so "big" remote hardware/software and/or a big server with virtual desktops is just extremely expensive

7.    #47
    Current Local Time
    06:18 AM

Today i benched my Computer without Graphic Card and tomorrow i will bench it with my new RTX 2070 Super

Code:
    RVT 2020 - Full_Simplified set - 2020.04.05 @ 11.14.32 on DESKTOP-056RN6M.txt
        RFO Benchmark v3.2 (build 19.08.2019)
        RevitForum.org

All times are in seconds, lower is better.

Run on Revit 2020 FCS

16.56   creating a group of walls and doors
       27.54   modifying the group by adding a curtain wall
       11.02   creating the exterior curtain wall
        9.12   creating the sections
        3.42   changing the curtain wall panel type
       12.82   creating area plans
        1.71   creating and applying view template
       99.68   TOTAL

0.11   change view to Hidden
        0.42   change view to Shaded
        0.56   change view to Consistent Colors
        0.43   change view to Realistic
        1.10   refresh Wireframe Line view x10
        4.57   refresh Hidden Line view x10
        5.01   refresh Shaded view x10
        4.70   refresh Consistent Colors view x10
        7.13   refresh Realistic view x10
        0.67   activate View Cube view
        4.52   rotate view x1
       35.87   TOTAL

Notes:
        Graphics benchmark measures the entire graphics stack, which includes CPU and memory.
        To meaningfully compare graphics cards, test all cards in the same machine
        and use the 'Graphics - expanded' benchmark.

TEST CONDITIONS:

Number of Logical Processors: 8
    Total Physical Memory: 24GB @ 3200 3200 3200Mhz

Last edited by Robin Deurloo; April 5th, 2020 at 09:40 AM.