Thread: Adaptive Component, sweep blend to wrap walls and corners

Current Local Time
    04:45 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Adaptive Component, sweep blend to wrap walls and corners

Hello and thank you for the forum, I refer to it often but this is the 1st time I'm posting.

I'm starting to try adaptive components and I'm hoping you all can help me with a relatively simple (I hope!) question.

I would like to create a profile that I can wrap around walls including their corners, the profile changes in size and/or shape along its length. I have done this as a model in place in the project but it is not very elegant and not very efficient to repeat (attachment _01).

I'm hoping that adaptive components may offer more options. I am working from point cloud data so the profiles are rather specific - I have created them as 3D line work and inserted them as components into the adaptive component. I have also tried creating reference lines directly in the adaptive component to create the profiles. However, each time that I am able to get the profiles to create a form, the result is a spliny curving path (attachements _02 thru _04). I haven't found a way to host the profiles or lines to the reference lines to create the straight lines to follow the walls and corners as I'd like.

Has anyone tried this before, any suggestions please ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wrapping moulding_01.jpg   Wrapping moulding_02.jpg   Wrapping moulding_03.jpg   Wrapping moulding_04.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    12:45 AM

Connect your adaptive points with Reference Lines (Draw on Face, 3D Snapping ON)

Place a point on those lines, make sure you hover over the line and the resulting point will look smaller than the adaptive points.

Place you profile families on the workplanes of those hosted points.

Select the profiles and the Reference Lines from the first step, Create Form.

But, he Shape looks like something that can also easily be done in the regular Family environment, just make a stretchable family with some end conditions build in and start placing those along the face of your Walls. Instead of it being 1 element it will be multiple ones.

Current Local Time

Thank you for your reply, I tried placing the profile (as components and as reference lines) on the workplanes of the hosted points, but it states its not possible to create a form.

In my first screen shot, I showed that I had created the shape in the regular family editor as multiple elements, however they do not join very nicely and do not wrap corners well, especially when there's a change in size from one side of the wall around the corner to the other wall. Also, I've got dozens, perhaps hundreds, of this type of profile to create, if I can find a way to adaptively place the point along the corners of the wall, it would save me a lot of in place modeling and trying to get the corners to look correct...

Current Local Time

The one thing I have learned with adaptive components is to never profiles or shapes to the adaptive points. as BJorn said host to a point that is hosted to a reference line. Alternatively you could use a line based family with a mitre parameter void and place each of those as separate components. This way you don't have to have a 6pt or 4pt or... adaptive family.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trim Family.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	37466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trim_Overall.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	37467

Current Local Time

Hi Brian, thank you for the reply and the photos. So you have a line based family in which there is a sweep of a consistent/unchanging profile ? You are able to insert this into the project and click on each corner and the profile wraps cleanly as in your picture or you're using the void at each corner ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Current Local Time
    12:45 AM

The void is in the Family itself, you include the end condition in the Family. Maybe as a variable to also take care of angles other than 45 degrees.

Current Local Time

Yes the void is in the family and I have instance based property for the angle, which could be positive or negative. I have to change that value at each corner for each element. The profile can't be changed out in the project environment, limitation of Revit, but can be saved as a new family and the profile changed there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    06:45 PM

Is it not easier to add the profile as a sweep to the top of a wall type? As you model the walls, the crown molding are modeled, and they would turn corners nicely. Doing this with adaptive families would be time consuming and not practical. Imagine having to click again over the edges of all the walls that you have modeled, and still not getting a correct result; compare that to simply modeling walls with the crown molding already.

Current Local Time

Thank you for your replies, my apologies I did not have my notifications set to receive them in a timely manner.

Brian, thank you for the family file, this certainly helps me to understand your approach, I'm in the process of testing and adapting this to my needs and I'll let you know how it works out.

Alfredo, I am using a combination of walls which directly include the molding profiles and of independantly applied wall sweeps; however these methods do not allow for the profile to change over its length (in size or shape) nor for neighboring profiles with different elevations to join nicely. I use the simple modeling techniques when possible but they don't meet these more complex needs, which I'm hoping adaptive components might. Ideally, I would like to have a component that can sweep along a line and each time I click a corner or an intermediate point, I can define which profile will be used next in the sweep...

Current Local Time

Brian, the family you shared has potential for me, thanks! I'm not clear exactly how the voids and the attached geometry are working, can you please explain it to me? The extrusion is the main geometry and the 2nd "solid geometry" is attached to allow for the extensions and the voids to cut at defined angles? How did you create this secondary solid? I'm trying to create the same thing but using a sweep-blend instead of an extrusion.
    Last edited by ccroc; December 5th, 2019 at 10:09 AM.