Thread: Shortcut to swap between active worksets

Current Local Time
    04:19 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Shortcut to swap between active worksets

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to Revit MEP. Been hanging around the Revit Forum for a while and have gotten some really nice help from previous threads.

Now for the topic,
    Do you guys know if there is a way to assign shortcuts for making a specific workset my active workset?
    Let's say I'm working with both ducts and pipes. What I'm looking for is a shortcut to make the duct my active workset and another one for making the pipe my active workset.
    I.e.

WD=Make duct my active workset
    WP=Make pipe my active workset

Does this makes sence?

Thanks!

Current Local Time
    10:19 AM

There's always a way with programming; not sure if there's an easy way right out of the box and not sure if Keyboard Shortcuts can accomplish this.

Are you an AutoCAD convert? This inquiry sounds very AutoCAD-ish. Changing the Workset via the Dropdown at the bottom of the Revit interface is as easy as a shortcut. There's also a lot of opinions on Worksets and how not to use them. One of the main reasons AutoCAD converts use Worksets is to "layer" objects for visual purposes. Pipes and Ducts differ by category so visual control can be accomplished very easily without Worksets. Demand-Load or separating a project is where Worksets come into play, and can expand on that.

I'll defer to others in the forum to answer you directly on if keyboard shortcuts can accomplish this.

-TZ

Current Local Time

Been looking around. So far I haven't found anything useful. I believe you would have to use programming, like you say.

No, personally I went straight for Revit. I've made some minor things in ACAD, but I definitely handle Revit better than ACAD. Though, the project members that I'm currently working with are more or less all coming from ACAD, hence the "workset/layer-mindset", I guess.

I am one of those guys who try to streamline everything to the max. If there's a way to make something slightly more effective (like using a KB shortcut instead of opening up the dropdown menu, i would want to do so) .

Thanks for your input!

Now this becomes kind of off topic, but I found the workset-part you talked about really interesting. Let's say you're working with a project in which you have heating/cooling pipes, drainage pipes, ductwork, maybe some sketch/layout "workset". Do I get it right if you wouldn't put all those subsystems in to different worksets? You wouldn't know any topics/threads here on the forum that covers this more in depth? (What to assign to a workset and what not to, and how ACAD-converts use worksets compared to how Revit users do). I believe that might be "basic" knowledge for Revit. From my understanding, most of the project I've worked with/heard of, the MEP-consultants use the worksets with an ACAD-mindset, so to speak.

Best regards,

Current Local Time

I can't comment on Keyboard shortcuts for switching Worksets but I can comment on Workset use.

So I am by no means an expert but i'll explain what we do in the company I work for (MEP Consultancy).

We model everything on the Default Workset. Everything that is part of our design goes on the default Workset. Everything. Granted we work on smaller projects where models don't get above 250MB but this works very well for us.

The architectural model goes on a separate workset, as do all externally generated models, CAD plans, IFC etc.

We have a Workset for architectural DWGs, structural buildings, structural dwgs. The list goes on.

We use view templates and filters within those to show and hide pipe/duct/cable tray depending on system. For example - we have a set of above ground drainage plans - they have an above ground drainage template applied with filters to hide all pipework that doesn't fall under the sanitary system types which we have set up. Those systems that are still shown are then coloured by separate filters for each system so foul, vent and rainwater pipework all have different colours, even if they are modelled with the same pipe types and fittings. Naturally those categories which do not need to be shown on the above ground drainage plans are turned off in the view template e.g duct, lighting fixtures, fire alarm devices etc.

As far as I know, AutoCAD users will have a different Workset for each category. Lighting, Ventilation, Heating and Cooling, Drainage, Power etc. This is an unnecessary level of division which is already handled by Revit and there are better ways to show/hide and alter appearance.

In short, we almost never change off of the default Workset. The only exception to this rule is for Site elements which are not to be seen on Internal GAs

Hopefully this answers at least some of your questions.

Kind regards,

ChasmFlame