Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wall with slope - model in place

Current Local Time
    09:07 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

wall with slope - model in place

hello
    i could seems to be easy for some of you but i don't know how to make a sloped wall
    the wall is nearly a buried tank there's nothing on it
    i take the opportunity of this topic to know your point of view about model in place
    lots of concrete piece in my work are not compatible with architecture standards
    some walls are here for belonging valves (wall valves)... some floors are here to put pumps or others process quipement on it... well i will need a lot of unstandard objet to make concrete "environment" and model in place are in my mind the only objects that permit to make special pieces
    is that a good idea? I 'm not yet woking on this topic but in a short time i will have to think about COBie, Omniclass in order the files (converted to IFC) are undertandable for the subcontractors and i'm wondering if it's possibl to put(easily) data in that kind of objects.
    a picture of the wall that i need to create...
    thanks for your help
    Phil

Current Local Time

Not a fan of In-Place anything, so I will go to a Family in most cases.
    And you can add all the needed parameters to those to comply to any standard.

Current Local Time

hi Robin
    yes family but there isn't any family for specific wall or floor, a wall or or floor is flat...
    oon some prime contractor files many things are generic models built in place which, with my short experience, not the good thing to do (we can do the same with wall in place or floor)
    have a look to some piece that there is is water treatment, what family will it be? why creating a family whereas it will it be only in this project, in this palce that i will need a so specific pice.... well i'm a bit caricaturing thing but not that much...

i've got a small project that i don't want to make with AutoCAD (in engineering ACAD is quite used, even if it's getting down with years...) and i would like to do my job smartly.... i'm sure i could make mistake because theses are my first project for my company but i'd like to avoid to make ti much mistakes...
    On the other picture, the non-halftone object are some part of concrete in araining tank... impossible to do this with standard family.... and there isn't any loadable familly of floor or wall, is it?

thanks for your enlightments!!
    Phil

Current Local Time
    03:07 PM

If it is just the top of the wall that is sloped you can edit the profile.

Current Local Time
    03:07 PM

If the whole wall is sloped I just create a mass then do wall by face.

Current Local Time

There is a trick it seems for having walls and floors a loadable families, I have family templates for that (see attached).
    But still a generic Model would be OK for me for that entire thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    02:07 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We used to have those family templates at my old office, too. After doing some experimenting with them, i would recommend simply making some portions of walls Generic models, instead of using them.

They work somewhat reliably, but if you do ANYTHING in the Project File that makes Revit "look up" the Category of those families, it will instantly fatal error. Or, it used to, at least.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    We used to have those family templates at my old office, too. After doing some experimenting with them, i would recommend simply making some portions of walls Generic models, instead of using them.

They work somewhat reliably, but if you do ANYTHING in the Project File that makes Revit "look up" the Category of those families, it will instantly fatal error. Or, it used to, at least.
    OH interesting. Never really used them, just had them sitting there, just in case.
    Trying to think of something that would "look up" the category of a family, just to see what happens. Any suggestion?

Current Local Time
    02:07 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I dont remember specifically, what it was. May have even been hitting edit family and then going in to Family Categories, or something. Or scheduling something. I really dont remember.

EDIT: Wait, i remember: Someone had made some "Floor Families" with them. Then there were families that were "floor hosted" touching them. And when they reloaded the Floor family, **** would go sideways, delete everything hosted to the floor, and sometimes fatal error.

What i also know is:

1. They were at the company when i got there (i know how to make them, but i never had a need for them)
    2. People were using them, because they thought they were normal
    3. There were certain projects that would always crash, and then i would go watch what the users were doing.
    4. It wasnt anything out of the ordinary, and the crash was super reproducible.

So i just removed those family templates and never used them again. Whats the big deal with the object that is a "wall" being a Generic Model? Dont say scheduling and data, seriously. Because you can change the code on a GM just like a wall. Its just a Revit Wall Schedule that cant read it. And all of the smart data from a Revit Wall Schedule wont exist in your "Family" anyway.

Current Local Time

@cello
    Yes, this is exactly what one of my friend told me thanks
    @twice & Robin
    I won't use your family, it seems to be too dangerous and I don't want make my files a piece of trash...
    Generic model is in my mind to much use... Floor or wall in place would be better... I think I'll try me this... You said that slopes are possible with wall for the bottom of tanks but how can you do something like this? I know now (thanks cello) how to modify the slope for a wall in its length but in its width?
    Phil

Off topic : whereas I'm practicing more and more the forum, this one is getting down whereas the Adesk's has some much activity... but that better, because I can follow some threads more easily. Thanks to all the "fondateurs" for this wonderful tool that is RFO
    Last edited by philsogood; September 27th, 2019 at 07:15 PM.