Thread: Importing link by shared coordinates - not quite working

Current Local Time
    02:56 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Importing link by shared coordinates - not quite working

Good morning guys,
    I can't figure this one out.

I have two projects in which the survey point, revit origin, and project base point are in the same place.
    I have copied and pasted the NS/EW and elevation values from one project to another.

When I insert the linked file into the host (from where I copied the coordinated) I am told by revit that the Coordinate Systems are different.
    however it still lands where it needs to be. Furthermore if I use PBP, I get no error and everything works.
    Any ideas what I could be doing incorrectly or not considering?

Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Different Coordnate Systems.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	37531

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:56 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Revit to Revit requires the use of Acquire Coordinates or Publish Coordinates to be able to link via By Shared Coordinates. I'd love for that to change so I can set the Survey Coordinates and have Revit only care about that, not a file to file "relationship".

If you use Acquire Coordinates on the linked file then Revit will store a Shared Coordinate relationship between the link and the host file. Then either file could be linked to one another using By Shared Coordinates instead.

For a single building and discipline focused models I usually recommend linking Auto - Origin to Origin with the requirement that each team acknowledge the origin of their template is a specific grid location. This way files can be linked origin to origin but when survey data becomes available and reliable the survey coordinate system can be configured. Then we can decide how far to extend it to the project's models, based on export requirements and software integration between applications.

Current Local Time

I was under the impression that shared coordinates worked based on the location or the survey point..

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:56 AM

There is a difference between the Shared Coordinate System and linking By Shared Coordinates...which relies on Acquire and Publish Coordinates between Revit models to recognize a relationship between them.

The normal process...

Link a Survey into a Revit model
    Acquire Coordinates from Survey
    Link another Revit model into host Revit
    Publish Coordinates

Other discipline links your model via By Shared Coordinates

This lack of control over "their" model is why I use Origin to Origin between Revit models. It's the same agreement we've had forever with CAD..."The origin is this spot in the building on the WCS origin". Then the survey stuff gets factored in when available.

That assumes you have write access to their model. If your firm and theirs are not the same then that can't be assumed.

They can Acquire Coordinates from your model instead and then when you get their model back you can link it via By Shared Coordinates.

With CAD files the By Shared Coordinates option will default to using the World Coordinate System's origin for positioning if there are no file extents issues that prevent it from working (uses Auto Center to Center if there are).

This is why I use the origin to origin approach, because I seldom have write access to other models. It's the same agreement we've had forever with CAD, "Let's agree this spot in the building is at the WCS origin of the file". Then we can work out the survey position when available.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; September 27th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.

Current Local Time

Thank you for your post Steve, what I have done which is more consistent is to still use the survey point and give it a coordinate for when we export to civil, but among those who use revit I think we are going to use the Project base point.

I think this will help not only with X Y but also with Z alignment if our PBP is the project's 0'-0" (which is equal to a survey elevation).