Thread: How to creating a Tension column in Revit

Current Local Time
    08:38 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How to create a Tension column in Revit?

Newbie here and I'm getting my beak wet (or more likely bent) on modeling a steel structure.
    I'll like to know the best practice on creating a tension column, or a steel hanger as some may call, it in Revit.

Basically I have a elevated steel beam and I'll like to attach a steel column to it's bottom flange. This column will hang down (maybe 2 or 3 feet) to provide support for another steel beam at a lower elevation. Attaching the column to the underside of the upper beam is not the issue since I can use the "Attach Top/Base" command, making the connection to the lower beam is my issue because I'll like the tension column to be be able to stay attached to lower beam if I decide to change it's elevation. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by natedj; September 30th, 2019 at 08:30 PM.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:38 AM

Welcome to the forum.

In the same way as you know how to attach the top of the column to the bottom of a beam above, you could attach the base of the column to another beam below. By default, the base of the column would go to the top of the beam below, but in the instance properties of the column there is a parameter to fix that. It is called "offset from attachment at base".

Current Local Time
    08:38 AM

As it stands now, the column base starts at the ground elevation and attaches to the underside of the upper beam. I was under the impression that I can select the column again, envoke the "Attach Top/Base" command again, and have the base of the column snap to the top of the lower beam ... that didn't work.

So if I understand you correctly, I'm suppose to start my column at the top of the lower beam and then attach the top to the upper column from there? I was hoping I can somehow do it in reverse and attach the lower beam to the column .... I might be thinking too much of the construction sequence.

The instance properties for the column has an "offset from attachment at Top" parameter which only affects the top of the column, I didn't see and instance for the base.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:38 AM

Quote Originally Posted by natedj View Post
    As it stands now, the column base starts at the ground elevation and attaches to the underside of the upper beam. I was under the impression that I can select the column again, envoke the "Attach Top/Base" command again, and have the base of the column snap to the top of the lower beam ... that didn't work.

So if I understand you correctly, I'm suppose to start my column at the top of the lower beam and then attach the top to the upper column from there? I was hoping I can somehow do it in reverse and attach the lower beam to the column .... I might be thinking too much of the construction sequence.
    Columns can be attached in any direction. It does not have to be in a construction sequence.

The instance properties for the column has an "offset from attachment at Top" parameter which only affects the top of the column, I didn't see and instance for the base.
    The parameters for "offset from attachment at... " (top or bottom) appear only after you select a column whose top or base has been already attached, not before.