Thread: Global Parameters and Egress Width

Current Local Time
    11:45 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Global Parameters and Egress Width

For code sheets, one thing my company likes to document is the maximum number of occupants an egress component (door or stair) can handle. Since the code constraint for calculating this is based on whether or not a building is sprinklered, I wanted to find a way to change it once in a project and have the doors (or stairs) report the correct occupant capacity in a tag.

Initially, I made this work using Shared Parameters with the "Sprinklered" Yes/No parameter controlling the width factor and calculating through. But if the project suddenly becomes sprinklered (or not), I thought it would be nice to be able to change this globally, rather than piece by piece. [Ok, so not really piece by piece - I have a working door schedule that allows me to remove all sorting and instances to change the value for all door types at once. Or at least those in use on the project .... but the "Sprinklered" parameter has to be set in each family type, so if a new family/type is added, this has to be verified.]

Then I discovered Global Parameters and wondered if they could be utilized to report the number of occupants a given door (or stair) can handle based on whether or not the building is sprinklered. Since this is set by pre-determined information, some of which is project-wide, it makes sense to use that information to apply across the project

1) GP: Sprinklered: Yes/No parameter
    2) GPs: Door Width Factor & Stair Width: Formula based on (1)

Doors:
    3) SP/FP: Occupant Width Factor - originally assigned to as type parameter, but could also be assigned as instance parameter and mapped only for doors being tagged for maximum capacity
    4) SP/FP: Formula for “Exit load” for a given door (instance parameter) based on the door width and Occupant Width Factor (3) (including adjusting the door width relative to the nominal door thickness)
    5) In project: Associate parameter Occupant Width Factor with GP: Door Width Factor in door types or instances related with egress path.
    6) Create Door Tag with SP: Exit Load in label
    7) Report the SP: Exit Load in a door tag on the code plan

Stairs:
    3) SP/PP: Occupant Width Factor => Associate with GP Stair Width Factor
    4) Stair Run Tag ... because it's the part of the stair that reports the width
    - SP/FP: Occupant Width Factor
    - Label: Formula calculating "rounddown (Actual Run Width / 1" / Occupant Width Factor)"
    5) Tag Stair Run ... not Stair (tab to select narrowest run of stair)

Yes, there are a couple tedious factors, but they were no less tedious than setting it up with SPs initially … and my goal is to make it easier on the project teams in the future.

1) Putting the SP/FPs into each door family. Thankfully this is the company’s first Revit project and there’s only a handful of door families.
    - (Is there anyway to automate this process? Dynamo something?)
    2) Associating the width factor GP with the FP for each door type
    - (Again, is there anyway to automate this process? Dynamo something?)

(Yes, I need to learn how to utilize Dynamo)
    Last edited by CADiva; October 11th, 2019 at 09:43 PM.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:45 PM

You can do all Type's of a single Cat at once, in a single unfiltered schedule, and only get ONE single popup for Overwriting Types. No need for the Global Param at all. Unless its a massive deal breaker to have to do it once dor doors and once for stairs. The OLF's can happen in the same two schedules, too.

Sure, its manual in two schedules. But youve got to have them manually doing something to assign the GP's anyway. It just divert back to the schedule method, and not use the GP's, personally. Works great here.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    You can do all Type's of a single Cat at once, in a single unfiltered schedule, and only get ONE single popup for Overwriting Types. No need for the Global Param at all. Unless its a massive deal breaker to have to do it once dor doors and once for stairs. The OLF's can happen in the same two schedules, too.

Sure, its manual in two schedules. But youve got to have them manually doing something to assign the GP's anyway. It just divert back to the schedule method, and not use the GP's, personally. Works great here.
    Yes, it worked quite well with just SP's using the schedule. I had just wanted to see if it could work with GPs too and since I hadn't found any threads (anywhere .... I did look) on this method of skinning the cat, I thought I'd share it. As you noted, the process of manually mapping the width factor GP to the door type SP may be more frustrating than the unfiltered/unsorted schedule method.

Current Local Time

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I actually keep two schedules in the template, just for this purpose (not a general working schedule). It literally is called Doors- Occupancy and Egress Data, and it only has two cells visible. Thats ALL they do in that schedule. Makes it way simple.

Current Local Time
    10:45 AM

I can say from experience that mapping a GP to every type of family in use in a project is an absolute pain. I've done it, and I've regretted it (though not for doors). Unfiltered/unsorted/unitemized is the way to go.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Roffe View Post
    I can say from experience that mapping a GP to every type of family in use in a project is an absolute pain. I've done it, and I've regretted it (though not for doors). Unfiltered/unsorted/unitemized is the way to go.
    Fair point ... hence why I was thankful we only have a handful. As an alternative, I just tried it with using the Occupant Load Factor as an instance parameter. In this case, I can select the doors that will be tagged for egress capacity and associate the GP to all those doors at once.

I'm not saying this is the best solution ... just one option based on project specific constraints.

Current Local Time

There is a project constraint that wont let you use an unitemized schedule?

Current Local Time

There is a project constraint that wont let you use an unitemized schedule?
    No ... the itemized schedule option works just fine.

I was referring to the status of whether or not a building (or "project") will be sprinklered as a "project constraint" since it affects code controlled parameter values (or "constraints") that will apply to a project as a whole, rather than individual elements, hence the interest in using a GP vs SP.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CADiva View Post
    No ... the itemized schedule option works just fine.

I was referring to the status of whether or not a building (or "project") will be sprinklered as a "project constraint" since it affects code controlled parameter values (or "constraints") that will apply to a project as a whole, rather than individual elements, hence the interest in using a GP vs SP.
    Gotcha. I guess I'm getting it messed up in my head, because it still confuses me.

If it's a GP and it's sprinklered or not, I have to go check or uncheck a box. But I have to mess with types or instances somewhere.

If it's a SP and it's sprinklered or not, I have to go check or uncheck one box in a door schedule, and one box in a stair run schedule, so there is always two boxes but never more than two.

Ideally if GP's could auto map without external intervention, we could have a single box. But it's a high price right now to get rid of the second box.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Gotcha. I guess I'm getting it messed up in my head, because it still confuses me.
    Me too ... one reason I posted was to record what I had done, but also to get some feedback on the concept. (Which has been valuable ... I may even change my mind. )

Ideally if GP's could auto map without external intervention, we could have a single box.
    Yes, this would be the preferred operation ... a girl can dream, can't she.
    Last edited by CADiva; October 14th, 2019 at 04:31 PM.