Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Family Manager / parameter remove, rename..

Current Local Time
    05:02 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bulk Family Manager / parameter remove, rename..

Is there a tool out there than can remove parameters from a load of families at once, or add paramters or change the text in a paramter in multiple families? I am sure I have had a tool in the past but cant for the life of me find it.

cheers

Current Local Time
    11:02 PM

CTC BIM Manager Suite's Family Processor.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    CTC BIM Manager Suite's Family Processor.
    Is there not a cheeper one? Iĺm sure I had one ages ago where you could open a loan of family parameters in excel and modify the text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time
    03:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by nick_h View Post
    Is there not a cheeper one?
    Dynamo

Current Local Time
    12:02 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I made a script that is designed to take manufacturer families and add our parameters so they work with our schedules. It also sets default values for things like marks, temps, and voltage, models, etc. It's not designed for multiple families at once but I'm betting there is a way. Although other than bulk upgrading families I haven't messed with multiple families in one script. I've heard its messy.

Current Local Time

I seen a tool called AGA smart browser pro that looks good but not sure on the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time
    11:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CRapai View Post
    I made a script that is designed to take manufacturer families and add our parameters so they work with our schedules. It also sets default values for things like marks, temps, and voltage, models, etc. It's not designed for multiple families at once but I'm betting there is a way. Although other than bulk upgrading families I haven't messed with multiple families in one script. I've heard its messy.
    Its insanely messy. John built a way to do it, with Dynamo, but its wildly erratic. Dynamo really doesnt like being used for that.

Current Local Time
    09:02 PM

Cody, do you use a 'template family' that your script accesses, and makes modifications to the manufacturer (or other source) family to match the 'template family'?
    Or does your script access a Shared Parameter file, and load in specified shared parameters (which would also need supplemental data, such as which categories it applies to, instance vs type, what section to sort under)? I'd be curious to see how your process is structured.

Current Local Time
    12:02 AM

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Oh God, now I'm going to be embarrassed by my implementation. I'd would like criticism though as this is one of the first useful script I made. It cut down adding parameters for schedules for AHUs from 15-20 min to about 1min. Open family, run script, select type, maybe update some parameters, save, load into project.

Keep in mind this isn't replacing manufacturers. I don't want to accidentally remove something in the family that is necessary for it to work.

I'm actually using excel. When I started here I redid our SP from scratch and used Excel to organize everything. I also generate the parameters from it using using Dynamo.
    There is a second excel file that has a tab that contains the list of tabs and a tab for each type of equipment that the script can be ran on. Each tab it set up with a version of the schedule we use plus other parameter that we use for visibility/coordination. This is what one looks like. Sort under is handled by the shared parameter excel file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	family parameters 01.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	37629

The script uses the Data-Shapes pull down node and reads the list of equipment tab. After you select your type it reads that specific tab and throws everything in there.

It means I have to update the shared parameter excel but that doesn't happen every often. I also have to maintain the scripts for Mech, plumbing and eventually tech/Elec, but I find it helpful to keep this information in excel anyway just as a lookup tool. Either way you have to maintain something with the standards that you want and I think having a few central locations work best.

Here's a few screenshots:

That stuff in the blue is to translate group under property from English to Revish.

Name:	family parameters 02.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	37630

Name:	family parameters 03.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	37631

Name:	family parameters 04.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	37632

Dynamo is REALLY goofy with temperatures.

Name:	family parameters 05.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	37633

Script Name: Mechanical Shared Parameters.dyn

Packages used in this script:
    Data-Shapes version: 2019.2.33
    Orchid version: 210.0.0.7072
    archi-lab.net version: 2019.2.27
    Clockwork for Dynamo 2.x version: 2.1.2

TimeStamp : 2019/10/14 16:6

Current Local Time
    09:02 PM

THANK YOU for such a detailed breakdown! I'm surprised that you're 'generating' the SPs from an excel file - wouldn't that create a new/unique ID for each one, rather than loading in from the standard Revit SP.txt approach (which ensures a unified ID per parameter)? I guess it only matters if you rely on standard Revit schedules to consolidate and harvest your final data, which I guess if you Dynamo that out and consolidate post-Revit, probably doesn't affect your process.

thanks again for sharing!