Thread: Shared Coordinates Question

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    09:19 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Shared Coordinates Question

Working on a project where shared parameters were established on Grids and Levels model only . Architect has issued another model for the building i.e. one for grids and Levels model and one for building. I have acquired shared coordinates from the Grids model. But my doubt would be What coordinate system would architect uses when he links the architectural model into the grids model ? Center to center ? Secondly when export both arch and services into Navisworks settings option should we have shared or origin to origin? Thanks in advance.

2.    #2
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    01:19 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    One file defines the "site relationship" aka shared coordinates. If they used their Grid/Level model as you call it for that then all files need to acquire coordinates from that file. Assuming the files you want to link have also used Acquire Coordinates on this same file...then you can use By Shared Coordinates.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    09:19 AM

Thanks Steve, I too understand that both(both Levels and building models) should and will share the same coordinate system so as to sit in the correct spot, which I have worked earlier on some other projects. However this model doesn't share the same coordinate system and now I'm trying to align in terms of the location and levels. I have initially aligned the arch model and then moved the services model. Later check this in Navis aswell. I could think of this way to resolve it. Am i doing it correctly?

4.    #4
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    01:19 AM

A couple strategy exist if you're in 2018 or new Revit. First issue is just model to model relationships. The second issue is the site relationship. You could ignore the model to model and just focus on site relying on linking models by shared coordinates.

Model to Model:

If linking files Auto - Origin to Origin does not line models up correct
    Edit each file and move the Project Base Point (not clipped) to a specific grid intersection (that assumes all the models have grids, if not choose a key model element they all share).
    Then link models using Auto - Project Base Point to Project Base Point.

Models to Site after Model to Model:

Link Grid model into each other model and use Acquire Coordinates. Now any model can be linked into another via Shared Coordinates too. No need to if they are already lined up though. Just export to Navisworks using Shared Coordinates so they'll line up there or for a DWG export to line up in the survey.

Ignoring Model to Model focus on Site:

Link the grid model into the other models, move it so it lines up properly. Make sure your levels are consistent with theirs. Acquire Coordinates. Repeat for each model. Then any model can be linked via By Shared Coordinates...they are all based on the same source "Grid" file.

Notice everything ignores "Publish Coordinate"...deliberately because that's not an option for BIM 360 or acting on other peoples files you only have a copy of...publishing coordinates to other people's files means as soon as you get a new version their file doesn't know about this relationship anymore.