Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-editable Revit file

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    05:19 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Non-editable Revit file

We are being asked to issue our revit file with all sheets intact within the model (which we dont normally do). This has caused a bit of consternation amongst the bosses as they are aware of how easy it would be for someone to add a wall or door to our model and re-issue our drawing.

Is there a way of "locking" the Revit file so it is read-only?

Many thanks in advance

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    11:19 PM

Keep a copy in your office and have a note in the Revit file that says the record copy is on file with you.
    Also, make them sign a disclosure statement that they will not modify in any way your model.

Besides that fact that its illegal for someone else to reissue a document you've signed, there's no fool-proof way to create an uneditable copy.
    If someone is determined to cheat, they'll find a way.

P.S. Don't tell your bosses its pretty easy to modify a PDF, too. Or a DWG, for that matter.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    there's no fool-proof way to create an uneditable copy.
    thanks

We're fully aware of legalities etc however that doesnt stop people doing things as we all know.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    10:19 PM

When was the last time somebody actually did re-use drawings outside of the fly by night home builders? I hear about it all the time but never have I actually seen it done

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Could you move everything on a single workset (including all annotations), check it out and then issue a copy of the central file?

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

We did think of that but that's easily side-stepped. I'll just tell the bosses that it isnt possible and we shouldnt issue all our drawings within the model (which i dont think we should anyway!)

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    11:19 PM

I advise all of my clients to reject models they receive that dont have the sheets in them. As in: Dont pay.

There is ZERO reason to not turn over the model with your sheets. All the fearmongering about people "reprinting your sheets" is JUST as possible with the PDF's, as it is with the Revit Model. if you want to avoid an ACCIDENTAL printing, make sure your stamp isnt electronically in the file, and call it a day.

If a bad actor wants to nefariously reproduce altered versions of your work, they are going to do it with or without your model.

Besides, whats your plan when working on BIM360? You are seriously going to delete all the sheets before every "publish" to your consultants? Yuck.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I advise all of my clients to reject models they receive that dont have the sheets in them. As in: Dont pay.
    But as we've discussed an infinitum, you dont work to the ISO ergo what you advise your clients isnt relevant to the UK.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time
    12:19 AM

This has been a question as long as I've been doing CAD. As others have already said, your only real protection is in the legalities.

If you are already sharing the model, how hard to you think it would be to recreate your sheets?

I've only heard of designs being reused illegally, sheets are project specific. Nothing of real value there for stealing. Stop being paranoid and have a little trust. Not everyone is out to get you.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time
    06:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLarson View Post
    When was the last time somebody actually did re-use drawings outside of the fly by night home builders? I hear about it all the time but never have I actually seen it done
    To be honest that was this summer for me. My client send over my dwg (exported from Revit) to some other party, they made some changes (because I was on my holiday) and were planning to send them out for a permit. Luckily I got send a copy of those files as well and was on the phone right away to my client AND send an email to both client and the third party to tell them they were lucky nothing was actually send out for the permit yet or I would have made a MUCH bigger deal out of it. OK to be honest that was the only time in about 20 years in the AEC industry, so it is not a real issue usually.