Thread: Structural Grid - Maximize 3D extents

Current Local Time
    06:21 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Structural Grid - Maximize 3D extents

I am having issues with the consistency of my structural grid lines from floor plan to floor plan.

On my main floor-plan that I am using as a basis for the other plans, I placed the structural grids in the position I want them to be by turning off the crop region, selecting all the grid lines and then maximizing the 3D extents, and from there, adjusting them to the desired location. I would expect that, on the other plans, that, since they were placed in the desired positions in 3D, that when I go to another floor plan, turn the crop region off, and choose the option to "reset to 3d extents" that they would go in the same exact location as the main floor plan. For some reason, they are extending way beyond the floor plan, miles into space.

I am not sure where I am going wrong. Again, I set them in the 3D position on the main plan where I want them to be, and I would expect that they would keep the same position in all the other floor plans. I can understand this being an issue if they were in 2d mode, as that varies from plan to plan but I have deliberately adjusted them in 3D mode so I am not sure what's going on. Please help

Current Local Time
    05:21 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katewood1989 View Post
    I am having issues with the consistency of my structural grid lines from floor plan to floor plan.

On my main floor-plan that I am using as a basis for the other plans, I placed the structural grids in the position I want them to be by turning off the crop region, selecting all the grid lines and then maximizing the 3D extents, and from there, adjusting them to the desired location. I would expect that, on the other plans, that, since they were placed in the desired positions in 3D, that when I go to another floor plan, turn the crop region off, ...
    STOP HERE. On your plan views make sure all the crop regions are turned off. Back at your main floor plan, where you'd made all your adjustments to get your grids the way you want, select all your grids. Now, on your ribbon, choose "Propagate Extents." From there, choose all the plans that you want to match.

Current Local Time
    10:21 AM

OR/AND

Scope Box the lot!?

then (or) model-group the grids and consider adding ("attached") detail groups (of dims, spot coordinates, etc) to further extend the solid thinking (of one setup to rule them all) to run with.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    02:21 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Maximize Extents means extend the selected grid/level to the "model extents", the whole model (3d elements)...not the view. You only use it once...

Current Local Time
    04:21 AM

Quote Originally Posted by katewood1989 View Post
    For some reason, they are extending way beyond the floor plan, miles into space.
    That's most likely due to an imported CAD file. Most often a Civil Site plan
    You can find out what's causing that by going into a 3D View with everything turned on and doing a Zoom Fit. Then select everything using a window from lower right to upper left
    If you still can't see which element it is, hold Shift down and unselect you legitimate elements using a smaller window from lower left to upper right.
    That should leave you with nothing selected except the offending DWG