Thread: Autodesk Certification

1.    #1
    Lurker
    Current Local Time
    01:54 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Autodesk Certification

Hello everyone, I am going for Autodesk Revit certification next month. I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience with that? What should I prepare for? I have been using revit for couple years now, but there is so much more to it... Thanks for any insights

Regards, (moderated: removed links)
    Last edited by LeanneZ; November 20th, 2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: removed OP added links

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    08:54 PM

The certification tests aren't too hard if you are using Revit every day. They tend to stick to more basic topics - find the height of a wall, place a stair and find a dimension, find something hidden in a view and pull a parameter, etc.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    07:54 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I felt like I knew too much on some of the questions.
    At a superficial look, you could get the answer, but - Revit being Revit - if you know the tricks to get around things, some of them can get ambiguous.
    Lesson learned: don't over-think your answer. Your first instinct is probably correct.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    07:54 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    In the event you do get hung up on a question, use the keyboard shortcut "KS", to search commands to see where they are. Some of the questions (in previous years) revolved around where a command lives on the Ribbon/UI. I found it especially useful when doing other disciplines I spend way less time in, (MEP/Systems).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-14_9-34-17.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	37795

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    04:54 PM

The family creation question got me. I did overthink it and the answer ended up not accepted. Specifically, I added an extra step of flexing the dimensions attached to the reference planes before attaching modeled content to them. Looking back, I can see now that this extra step was and is not necessary.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    06:54 PM

I found it useful for identifying a couple features I had not used much ... one of which I use regularly now and the other I still rarely use and may never use much.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I felt like I knew too much on some of the questions.
    At a superficial look, you could get the answer, but - Revit being Revit - if you know the tricks to get around things, some of them can get ambiguous.
    Lesson learned: don't over-think your answer. Your first instinct is probably correct.
    So much this. I ran into that the last time I did the Top Daug competition. They wanted some information about the vertical wall... my argument was that all walls are vertical (I know - tilt walls blah blah blah)

Also - formatting matters. I missed a question once because I input the column grid location backwards. The test wanted F1 and I said 1F (or something like that)
    Last edited by cellophane; November 15th, 2019 at 04:02 PM.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    11:54 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I work in a training center for Revit and other products.
    I am the person that supervises the exams, and also I have sat several of the different discipline exams myself (All of them except MEP) and also the Autocad certification.

I am not allowed to say much because of NDA but here is what I can say or the suggestions I have for you.

As we are on the strucutre part of the forum I assume you are sitting the structure exam.
    If you are using Revit in production, and have been for several years you will have no problem on the exam.
    If you know the product well you may find that some of the questions you do not even need to actually execute the exercise to have the answer.

The exam is 2 hours, 35 questions. So it is quite tight on timing. I finished the exam with 1 hour to spare. So as I said, if you feel you can answer the question without executing the steps of the question in the interface do so, mark the question for review, and when you finish if you have time spare you can come back to the question and double check your answer by doing the exercise.

Additionally the question may ask you to do steps that simply have no bearing on the end result (such as the content of a string of text) You do not need to type the exact string of text in most cases to have the correct answer regarding the modification you need to perform. You will need to assess the need to perform the steps in the test questions, BUT I am simply suggesting you might find yourself questioning why you were asked to do certain steps. In fact, some of them are pointless to that question.

If you do not use beams and beam systems, learn them.
    Learn how to perform inquiries on linked files.
    Learn the collaboration tools such as copy/monitor, and the options associated with it

Do not save the file after each question - something you changed in responding to a question might end up effecting your volume, surface etc. in another question later. Close the file (do not close revit entirely) and re-open the file, even if it is the SAME file for the next question.

Formatting matters, and so do UNITS. Use copy/paste between revit and exam interface whenever you can, that way there are no errors. Be careful not to include spaces before or after the text string if you do use copy/paste. The "robot" that checks the exam after will look for (example) 20 characters, if it sees 21 because one is a space, your answer is WRONG.

The exam will give you "hints" by telling you how many numbers they expect in the answer it will be shown as ##.### m3 for example next to the answer box.
    If your answer is not 5 numbers long...you've got a problem in your execution...check your process. Also that answer might be 23.540
    Zeros at the start or end of a number string will be ERASED automatically by the robot. So if you put 0023.540000 it will take it down to 23.540 that it is seeking in the answer (as an example)

Check your UNITS I have seen 1 question where the units needed to be converted, but I think this was a mistake in the exam.
    The exam does contain mistakes...for example I have seen a question that asked for a "volume in m2"

As someone else stated - don't overthink your answers, if the question felt too easy, or you can see a clear mistake like a volume in m2....then the question was too easy...

Don't stress too much, it's not that hard if you are using revit in production all the time.
    Last edited by Karalon10; November 20th, 2019 at 09:37 AM.