Thread: Wall Based Family - Wrong insertion point at elevation view

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    04:07 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wall Based Family - Wrong insertion point at elevation view

Hi there guys! I'm having some trouble to figure out how to solve the insertion point of a family to be placed using the elevation view.

I created this simple wall-based family (a window). It has a triangular shape and I would like to use its top point as an insertion point. So, I created my reference planes, pinned them, and defined the origin in a intersection of planes at the top of the component.

Now, when I load this family in a project and try to use an elevation view to position it, my insertion point falls in another place.

Is there any enlightened user over there to help me with that?

Some tests I did:

- If I change the 'Height' parameter value, the insertion point will change to other funny position.
    - It doesn't matter if I create and constrain the geometry either right above, with an offset or right below the reference plane.
    - It seems this is related to wall-based families. I had this problem before with another family, but by that time I had the option to change it to face-based which solved the issue.
    - I tried creating a dummy wall-based family from scratch and this thing keep happening.

Thanks a lot!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2.    #2
    Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:07 PM

If you want to have the insertion point at the top of the triangle, place a reference plane at the mid height of the bounding box, and set that plane to be one of the origins. The other one can be the center left-right. Looks like you started this window family with a different template, not the windows template. Anyway, that is the solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-30_17-15-59.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	37943

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    04:07 AM

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    If you want to have the insertion point at the top of the triangle, place a reference plane at the mid height of the bounding box, and set that plane to be one of the origins. The other one can be the center left-right. Looks like you started this window family with a different template, not the windows template. Anyway, that is the solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-30_17-15-59.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	37943
    Thanks for your reply Alfredo! I used the wall-based template for this one but even using the windows template you'll have the same issue happening. I knew this option of placing a ref plane in the middle (basically because Revit bugs after you set the top plane as origin and displaces the insertion point half component's height above the family). But I discarded it because with this solution the insertion point is somehow only visually there on top, it isn't interpreted as the actual origin to snap the family and help the modeler to position the component in the project environment.

So far I realized that as long as you have any kind of wall-hosted family and try to manipulate its origin point in elevation views you'll get weird results.

For a family that doesn't cut the host, we can use the 'change family host' trick, the host wall will be converted into a vertical plane, and everything will work fine. For windows families instead, that trick doesn't work because we lose the opening cut feature (and the ability to make elements stretch following the wall thickness).

4.    #4
    Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:07 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I made a test, using a window template, making a triangular window, and even a rectangular one, and I saw the same issue, and the solution is the same: if you want the top of the window to be the insertion point when you place it on elevation, the origin needs to be as explained in my previous message. Interesting. I had not noticed this before.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; December 2nd, 2019 at 11:49 AM.