Thread: Phase issues

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    10:50 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Phase issues

I guys, I have few problems with my phases,

how do you set up something to be existant, demolition and then construction? If I am having a window to change, I cant add it or it says I have multiple items on the same area and it blocks me. Therefore, I am having problem issues with my demolition plans. Also, is there a way to put the entire window in dash? right now most windows I am finding are only have the perimeter in dash and the middle is not.

Also, what is the best way to work? 1 wall that goes from the bottom to the roof or make 1 wall per level so you have more ''manipulation'' possibilities. In case there is material change, are you using multiple material wall or you are making 2 different walls?

I don't know why, my hatches on my elevations are always moving in my presentation. So sometime I feel like everything is over and when I am switching all my hatches are moved and it is screwed.

Do you have any other tip and tricks for existant to demolition to new construction?

thanks for your help guys.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    05:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Midaz View Post
    how do you set up something to be existant, demolition and then construction? If I am having a window to change, I cant add it or it says I have multiple items on the same area and it blocks me. Therefore, I am having problem issues with my demolition plans. Also, is there a way to put the entire window in dash? right now most windows I am finding are only have the perimeter in dash and the middle is not.
    Demolition is a step that happens during New Construction, not an actual phase in the Revit project. The window dash graphic is probably related to the view scale. At a large scale like 1/16" the dash pattern is pretty big, and smaller elements / lines don't have much of a break in them.

Placing a window back in the same place gets a little tricky (i.e. annoying.) You can host the window into the infill wall that is automatically created, but if any of this ends up in a group it will break in miserable ways. To host it, you can place a window and select the infill wall, or copy & paste to the same place in a new construction phased view, then pick a new host for the window. Either way you will probably want to reference planes to make sure it goes where it should. The other option is to use multiple walls and/or a family to create the infill opening where the new wall will go.

Also, what is the best way to work? 1 wall that goes from the bottom to the roof or make 1 wall per level so you have more ''manipulation'' possibilities. In case there is material change, are you using multiple material wall or you are making 2 different walls?
    Without knowing the full scope of the work that is difficult to answer. I generally would do one wall from bottom to top unless I needed more control. For finishes I'm using multiple walls: Core wall (gwb-stud-sheathing) and Finish wall (brick, siding, etc.) Note when doing this you will need to join your walls together, otherwise things won't cut properly.

I don't know why, my hatches on my elevations are always moving in my presentation. So sometime I feel like everything is over and when I am switching all my hatches are moved and it is screwed.
    Are you using model or drafting patterns? Drafting patterns will adjust based on view scale: lines are always X distance apart, and Model patterns are always the same size: lines are X distance apart relative to the scale of the view, so a brick will always be +/-2.75" high when measured at scale. You can also move the pattern around on the object to get everything in the right place. This is a little harder in a family but is possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WindowDemoScale.PNG  

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Thank you so much for your complet answer my friend, I really appreciate!

so if I use the double window type in different phases I risk a lot of problems ? this is what I understand? so what is the point to use revit to do it , if at the end, we need to draw in manually over the hole?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    05:50 AM

so if I use the double window type in different phases I risk a lot of problems ? this is what I understand? so what is the point to use revit to do it , if at the end, we need to draw in manually over the hole?
    Could you clarify this bit? I don't quite follow

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

So if I am doing many renovations, I will risk many problems if I put a new window at the same place as a existant window right? (you said if they group you won't like it), but if we go that way, what is the point to use revit for such work if I need to draw my windows with white hatches and lines in order to represent my new construction windows over my existing hole? I don't know if it is better said ahah

6.    #6
    Current Local Time
    03:50 AM

You shouldn't have to ever "fake in" elements that should be modeled, like windows. Revit has its quirks with how infill walls are used, and how you work with them depends on your flow, and how often you need to do things like group windows that are in the same place as the previous window. Use the tool as its intended, then when you have specific behavior issues we can try to help troubleshoot.

I haven't had a problem with windows in an infill, but if ours are grouped they are made of curtain wall (which doesn't require a host) or they are an independent family that isn't grouped.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time

Do you have any other tip and tricks
    Yes.

Try to keep a thread topic targetted to an explicit issue (here about phases & demoliton) the ask other questions (here about walls & hatches) elsewhere.

As for the whole placing-a-window-on-top-of-window-with-phases issues you're experiencing?

Sadly, this (demolition) is one of those arse-backwards quirks of Revit that demands we do stuff to immitate the outcome of the real world in a fashion in no way like the real world. That said, (Revit's) phases are a dream compared to file/layer management in CAD, so... I dunno.