Thread: Existing column hiding because of New Phase works

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:52 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Existing column hiding because of New Phase works

I have several columns on the existing phase.

In the New Construction Phase, these columns will be encased within a stud partition. When I draw the new partition I get a warning that 'One element is completely inside another'. This is OK in the New Construction phase, it's what I want.

But when I review the Existing phase drawing, the column disappears. [Show All, Show Complete, Show New - all the same results]. The wall from the future affects the column from the past!

If an existing column is only half encased in the new phase wall, then half the column appears in the existing phase.

Why does this happen, and more importantly, how do I stop this anomaly happening? I obviously want the whole column visible in the existing phase.

Thank you.

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    06:52 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If it is an architectural column, then it has been "joined" to the new construction work. Unjoin the column from the wall to see it. But ... this will make it visible in all views.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    01:52 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CADiva View Post
    If it is an architectural column, then it has been "joined" to the new construction work. Unjoin the column from the wall to see it. But ... this will make it visible in all views.

That worked, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Still, don't know why and existing column disappears in an existing phase, just because it's 'joined' with a wall in a future phase. Do many Revit users want this behavior?

4.    #4
    Current Local Time
    06:52 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    That worked, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Still, don't know why and existing column disappears in an existing phase, just because it's 'joined' with a wall in a future phase. Do many Revit users want this behavior?
    You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure most don't want this behavior ... I know I want to see "existing" in existing phases.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    11:52 PM

Also check your graphic replacements in the "phase" tool.
    You will find that there is a replacement material forced on objects depending on their phase. Therefore, for example, your brick wall will no longer have a brick hatching, but will have the "Phase-Demo" material applied to it and this has it's own cut hatch applied that will be different to your brick hatch.

This applies the same material to any object in the "Demolition" phase (for example). So brick, concrete, metal, glass...no matter...they will all have the same "Phase - Demo" material forced on them by the graphic replacements in the phase tool options.

In addition, any view FILTERS you have created will supersede even the phase graphic replacements...so if something is not showing as it should check your filters first, then phase replacements