Thread: Using array with parameter losing constraints

Current Local Time
    05:50 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Using array with parameter losing constraints

Hello everyone,

I have the following issue. I'm trying to create a Revit family starting with 'Metric Curtain Wall Panel.rft' (or Metric Generic Model.rft as plan B). The family is a design for a ceiling with heating tubes in it. When in Revit we draw a roof 'sloped glazing' with curtain panels in it to create ceilings with a grid and also mullions if wanted.

With this particular family the problem is with using 'Array' for the tubes within creating the family. The tubes are a sweep and have constraints like distance to side, distance in-between and number of arrays. So when the panel is larger/smaller you can fill in these parameters to have the right amount of tubes within the panel.

It seems that when using array the sweep loses the constraints created in the 'sketch path'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knipsel1.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	37841
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knipsel2.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	37842

Pictures from before and after the array. When loading family into a project and the panel gets smaller/larger the tubes are all over the place.

I added both families as attachement so you can try out if you have a solution

Definitely a challenge! Goodluck

Greetingz from Belgium
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    11:50 AM

When using the array tool in the family editor, it is always best practice to 'nest'/load in the arrayed component.

Current Local Time

You didn't locked the array correctly, revit can't calculate what you want from this few constraints.

Create parameter and/or lock the following things, all of them outside the array group:
    - distance between a ref plane and the first element of the array
    - distance between the second and the first elements if you created with second element method, distance between the last and the first element if you created with the last element method
    - calculate the number of elements from the length planned length with a formula like this: rounddown(fullDistance/distanceBetweenElements), or the otherway, calculate the distance between elements from the number of elements and total length

It's possible that not all of these parameters are required to work, but my experience is, that these are needed to make the array's behavior consistent.

Current Local Time
    11:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    When using the array tool in the family editor, it is always best practice to 'nest'/load in the arrayed component.
    Nesting makes life so much easier with arrays, I would go this route. You may need to adjust your parameters in the nested tubes to be instance based so they are controlled in the host family, but that is pretty minor.

Current Local Time

Thanks for the responses. At the moment i have a basic family setup that is working so thanks for the input. I used a mix of the suggested solutions. The 'Array' objects are now a nested family drawn as a generic model. After the array extra contstraints and parameters are added. Also a parameter that calculates the objects depending of the total length with formula rounddown (… ) . So thanks for this

Now the family is going to get more complicated i hope this keeps working

Greetingz