Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2020.2 update - how to hide the new x,y,z icon

Current Local Time
    12:30 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    All my files were upgraded to 2020 but loading an archive 2019 file into 2020.2 so that it is upgraded, saved, then re-load it and there is no x,y,z marker as you say (not that I ever doubted you were right of course ).

A bit odd but I guess harmless?

Current Local Time
    09:30 AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    That's what View Templates are for.
    I had to change 6 Templates & I was done.
    I wish I only had 6 view templates

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    04:30 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I traded emails with someone at Autodesk, they might put together a Dynamo fix option. I said it would be a good thing if they did. It seems there is technical reason it happens to 2020 files that they cant fix directly when the file is opened, since the file isnt going through an upgrade.

Current Local Time
    06:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    I wish I only had 6 view templates
    Oh, Oh...
    I thought that icon only showed up in 3D Views, but just spotted it in Plan View.

I've got the Site Category turned off in most of my VTS, but now I'm going to have to go through the rest of my VTs (72) and double-check.

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting from the hypothetical beta program, but here's more detail on Steve's post:
    For models which have been upgraded to 2020 before, the internal origin can't be turned off by default as there is no upgrade happens. But for new projects created using Revit 2020.0 and model upgrading from a pre-2020 release, they're off by default.

Revit Maestro
    Current Local Time

This is an interesting change to the behaviour of the PBP and I wish that you should had to unclip the PBP to move it. I really like the idea of the internal origin having its own icon because it's super important to keep all geometry within that 10-mile radius around the internal origin. Moving the PBP does change project coordinates, and thus it needs to be done thoughtfully... and a non-clipped PBP doesn't help in that regard.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    This is an interesting change to the behaviour of the PBP and I wish that you should had to unclip the PBP to move it. I really like the idea of the internal origin having its own icon because it's super important to keep all geometry within that 10-mile radius around the internal origin. Moving the PBP does change project coordinates, and thus it needs to be done thoughtfully... and a non-clipped PBP doesn't help in that regard.
    The clipped status of the PBP was an illusion, it did not change the internal/project origin. That action moved the Survey Coordinate System away from it. In effect it was always not clipped because the coordinate system that affected wasn't the one to whom the clip was attached. It was wrong from the outset. It was a secret door to the shared coordinate system that in may experience caused more problems than it was ever worth.

Put another way, if someone moved the PBP clipped and shared coordinates were configured properly for their survey, the result is they moved the building on site, its relationship to the survey coordinate system. If someone did that understanding what it really does, then they are among a very few people that is true of.

With 2020.2 the PBP is moving the local coordinate system associated with the PBP, the only thing it really ever did properly, usefully...that wasn't also very confusing.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; November 25th, 2019 at 06:59 PM.

Revit Maestro
    Current Local Time

Yeah - the "clipped" PGP merely moved the SP in the opposite direction, so it was an illusory thing. But it was still a thing

I suppose this revised behaviour is better at showing what's happening behind the scenes and it simplifies a new user's understanding of what's actually happening with the coordinate systems, so all good, right?

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Simplify Shared Coordinates was/is a specific goal for the development team. Since the earlier behavior was implying results that were not consistent with reality and there is/was much FUD related to it...simplifying has been achieved in small way, for the PBP at least. Except for the consternation about the clip being gone now.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; November 25th, 2019 at 07:42 PM.

Revit Maestro
    Current Local Time

Heh, Revit allows manipulation of such things too easily. Like the origin of a group. Just drag the sucker and see the magic happen

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:30 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have not seen the latest upgrade to 2020 yet, but, based on what I'm reading in this thread, if the ability to clip and unclip the project base point was removed, I'm happy about it. The gizmo to see the internal origin was not necessary for BIM managers, but it makes the origin more obvious to all the users, which is good, and if the gizmo is on by default, I like that, too.