Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2020.2 update - how to hide the new x,y,z icon

Current Local Time
    08:21 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Steve, I of course really appreciate that you and others are trying to figure out a workaround... and yeah, criticizing is ultimately useless... but sometimes it's better to yell on the internet than let the frustration manifest itself IRL - it can be cathartic to share frustrations with others... to know you're not the only one.

Adesk is the epitome of incompetence - they're terrible at implementing new features, and much too often make existing features worse. People have a very good reason to be annoyed (yet once again) by Adesk's endless incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Try reading the whole thread when you have time. The reason that 2020 files are affected this way is they don’t go through an upgrade sequence. Older version files get upgraded and they have control of what is visible because upgrades involve running code on the file. A 2020 file just gets opened. A point release rule is “no upgrade” required to deliver new features. They could have held back the feature until 2021 release.

It doesn’t print. It’s most inconvenient issue is that it affects view navigation badly.
    Last edited by iru69; December 22nd, 2019 at 06:53 PM.

Current Local Time
    10:21 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    Adesk is the epitome of incompetence - nearly everything they touch turns to ****. People have a very good reason to be annoyed (yet once again) by Adesk's endless idiocy.
    Sure. That's why no one buys their software and they don't have any market share.

Current Local Time

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    just got done reading the whole thread... not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I'm curious what everyone's reluctance to use View Templates (VT) is? that was my fist go-to when I saw this. Yes, it took me half a morning to fix all our VT's. but now there done and I just tell my users to Transfer Project standards of the VT's from our master file.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Im not sure that there is "reluctance," per se. But there are two different groups of users, and a WIDE chasm in the middle:

1. The folks who have already learned and understand the value of VT's, and have them throughout their entire Template
    2. Everyone else.

Suffice it to say, group 1 is way smaller than the majority. Im in group one, for sure, and this "thing" wasnt a big deal. But if you arent leveraging Templates (files and Views) well, its a lot of lifting, to get up to speed. And if you upgraded mid-project, it "just happened" to you.

Current Local Time
    09:21 PM

Institutional intertia seems to be the main cause for resisting VTs. Also the failure of the training teams to drive home the value of the temporary view properties button enables that intertia to continue.

Current Local Time

Well, the HISTORIC reasons for being terrified of View Templates, stem to before they were Live Linked (pre 2014), when- even if you were using them religiously- your success or failure was 110% dictated by your ability to police the team of users, so that NO ONE was making important changes to the views themselves, as you werent locked out of the Views settings.

It created a misperception that *when someone touches View Templates, the views all go crazy and look different,* which further exacerbated the "Every time i receive prints from Revit, the project looks different," belief that a lot of non-revit Project Managers have.

Obviously, none of that was REAL, it was just what was perceived, if users werent handling their business... But that means it COULD have been real (for them), and thus View Templates became the enemy.

That should have all gone away, post View Template Live Link and view setting lockout, but old beliefs die hard.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    ...Well, the HISTORIC reasons for being terrified of View Templates, stem to before they were Live Linked (pre 2014)...
    My observations...more often than not it was "I didn't know about View Templates, what are those?"

Everyone I discussed VT's with over the years assumed they were aggressive and were surprised that they weren't. When they changed to be aggressive (optionally) it was mostly a "duh, that's how they always should have worked."

In the case of the internal origin, it boils down to "I resent having to deal with this at all and I'm annoyed by their decision to let it be visible". Yes, it is easy to fix with a VT and even easier with the dyn (the one I recently shared that runs without a warning). Easy to fix doesn't eliminate the annoying aspect of it...and Autodesk is at consistently willing to poke themselves in the eye. If they waited till the next release then people would have complained that it took so long to deliver. There seems to be some sense there that our perspective is the more the better the faster the better...even if there is a penalty.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; December 10th, 2019 at 05:29 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLarson View Post
    Institutional intertia seems to be the main cause for resisting VTs. Also the failure of the training teams to drive home the value of the temporary view properties button enables that intertia to continue.
    I'm sure I knew about this button at some point. But I rediscovered it because of this post. Made my life easier today!

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by HMunsell View Post
    just got done reading the whole thread... not trying to start an argument with anyone, but I'm curious what everyone's reluctance to use View Templates (VT) is? that was my fist go-to when I saw this. Yes, it took me half a morning to fix all our VT's. but now there done and I just tell my users to Transfer Project standards of the VT's from our master file.
    No reluctance here - I'm a huge proponent of them and carp on our staff to use them. But it's not that trivial when you have dozens of projects in various states of completion, and view templates continue to evolve and are adjusted from project to project, and not literally every view is assigned a template, and it's impossible to always have everyone in an office on the same page.

And the irony is that transferring project standard could be an unfortunate but acceptable workaround fix if the feature was more robust - but like countless other Revit features, the developers have failed to improve on any of the original limitations, and therefor it's just another half-baked tool that's rarely use because it's generally more trouble than it's worth.

Again, what's most troubling is that we're having to have this discussion in the first place.

Current Local Time
    02:21 PM

-3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Sure. That's why no one buys their software and they don't have any market share.
    The ONLY reason we stick with Revit is the we are FORCED to because there is no viable open exchange system. To be fair, not many other vendors allow open exchange, although some are heading that way (Bentley). We HAVE to buy their software, because it has a three-year timebomb in it.

Autodesk are guilty of the VILE practice of software lock-in; essentially they are holding our data HOSTAGE (even more so if you drink the Kool-Aid that is BUM360).

This is the same thing Microsoft got hauled over the coals for back during the Browser Wars.

(Chicago mafia accent) "Nice project you gots here, buddy. Lotta hours, lotta IP here. Be a SHAME if anything happened to it, you gets me? I think we'll put the subscriptions up this year, what abouts that? To keep youse data SAFE. "

The only thing Autodesk cares about is value for shareholders, not value for customers.