Thread: How to place Views on Sheets defined by location

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    09:39 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Smile How to place Views on Sheets defined by location

In this script I want to create Views from Levels, Sheets from Excel and placing the Views on the created Sheets, all at the same time using ONE script.

Challenge 1:
    I want to place the Views that I’ve created from the Levels on the sheets that I’ve created from Excel with a specific location from a reference sheet view that I placed on a Sheet in Revit that I am getting from the node “Sheets.” I want to get the Sheet View Ports so I can get the location from that one and use it as a reference location for the other sheet views to be placed.
    To place the views I am using the node “Tool.Place.ViewsOnSheets” because here I have the option to input a Points List from the group I’ve made called “Get Location of reference Sheet View”. The thing is I can’t place the views on the sheets with this node. But I can do it with the “Sheet.ByNameNumberTitleBlockAndView”. But if I am using that node I don’t have the option to place the views on the sheets with a specific location. It will place them randomly.
    How can I from here place the views on the sheets by a specific location?

Challenge 2:
    I want to set a specific View Port type as well to the sheets with the views. I am getting the error “Dereferencing a non-pointer.” What did I do wrong here?
    Please have a look at the attached image that shows the script.

If you need more info, please tell me.

I would be so happy if a solution for this could come up. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for forum1.png  

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    07:39 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When using the Sheet.ByNameNumberTitleBlockAndView node we just create an empty drafting view to place on it so it runs (empty drafting views can't be placed on sheets so Revit won't do it but Dynamo lets the node execute). Then use Rhythmn's View.Create to place the view which should work with your points you've gathered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-21_08h18_09.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	37853

To change the viewport type we use archilab's Change Family Type node and input the element id of the viewport type we want (we've run another Dynamo graph to just grab the element IDs of all the viewport types in our template and we keep that in a spreadsheet for reference).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-21_08h21_51.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	37854

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Thank you very much Michael! It worked!

Now that I have placed the views on the sheets I would like to sort them by the sheet numbers from the Excel spreadsheet. I've tried to do it with the nodes in the group "Sort the views by sheet number." It seems that the List.Getitematindex node is returning nulls. Do you have any idea of how I can sort my views so that they match with the sheet numbers in my excel spreadsheet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for forum 2.png   Excel for question.png  

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

From a quick look it seems like you're asking for an item in a lost that is only 1 item long, resulting in your nulls.

For the sorting, I would make a Sheet Number - View Element Dictionary, then you don't really have to sort. Make Sheet, ask Sheet for Number, ask Dictionary for corresponding View. No Sorting required.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Thanks for the reply. Oh yes I see.

Can you maybe show me how by nodes, because I dont really understand. Where to make the dictionary? in excel? How can I ask for sheet number?

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

I figured it out now.. Thanks for the replies. Really helped me out.!