Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attaching walls to floors from linked file

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    03:05 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane
    Do you include a separate wall type for the shear walls...
    If I get my way...yes...

Current Local Time
    06:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    If I get my way...yes...
    me too... Same for Cement Board instead of GWB in wet locations - but the higher-ups have different opinions

Current Local Time
    05:05 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    me too... Same for Cement Board instead of GWB in wet locations - but the higher-ups have different opinions
    One of my favorite conversations about Architctural Standards. Wall Types and:

1. Gyp vs Cement Board (having them as separate wall types)
    2. Lead Lined (whether the wall actually gets thicker, or not)

These types of conversations are why our Partition Tyle library just massive expanded. Ive been meaning to write a blog post on it, but havent had much time.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    1. Gyp vs Cement Board (having them as separate wall types)
    2. Lead Lined (whether the wall actually gets thicker, or not)
    to pile on to that - what about abuse resistant, sound board (soundbreak XP, quietrock, etc), and/or moisture resistant GWB? Meaning you could have 4 (or more) sub-types for each wall type. And that doesn't even include segregating Type X and Type C GWB, which I realize most GC's don't even bother with non-Type X, but still... Where do you draw the line?

Current Local Time

Opinions vary, of course.

But, as a general characteristic of problem solving, i dont ever subscribe to *if you cant solve every condition, you dont solve for any condition.* Meaning, every firm has to decide where the line gets drawn, but i dont believe it has to be at one end (dont declare any of them) just because you arent all the way at the other end (declaring all of them).

Different firms do different specialties of work, and so they might care about some of the items above, and not others.

One client of ours really cares about all of the acoustic differences, so their walls have the soundproof versions as different wall types. Other firms care about moisture a lot more, but less about sound.

Type X vs Type C is also a firm choice. I even know some design firms that dont bother specifying, and just have the Type x everywhere.

Our system has the GWB vs CMT, and Lead, as an actual difference in the walls. It makes it so- during a QAQC check- i can look at wall tags around any wet room, or any lab room, or any X ray room, and KNOW something is wrong. Looking for dashed lines is lame.

We dont include the sound variants, because our STC assembly "rating desired" is handled at the instance level, and because the tests have to be done per job and per spec, its not "officially" helping, if i put it in a wall type.

But thats just one guys opinion.

The hardest part (for me) is that alphanumerically, there are only 26 letters in the alphabet to use for any one piece of coding that you dont want to use numbers for. I should just write the blog post, lol.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Slight tangent: How do you handle things like shear walls, where OSB is added to the wall assembly? Do you include a separate wall type for the shear walls, or just use your typical wall (say UL U419) and ignore the sheathing in the architectural model?
    I assume you are speaking of a wood framed shear wall, then in my opinion the sheathing would be part of that assembly. If I were the arch I would have the wall type something like OSB-Wood Framing-Gyp, the struct. model may only have OSb-Wood Framing. Just make sure they align.

Current Local Time

Hey Aaron, my firm is about to get in the weeds (Wall Types) starting the new year (PM& PA group coming together to present to the Uppers; a "grassroots effort" if you will). "I'd be great"... if in 6-8 weeks you could post something including "avoiding pitfalls" too ;p

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Orrrr...... You could save them the time of spending hundreds of hours on it (ive watched firms get a committee together and collectively burn over a month on it), and i could just fly in and explain to them the challenges, before they start.

Just a thought.