Thread: Server issue?

Current Local Time
    06:09 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Server issue?

We have 3 computers with very similar hardware in each computer plugged into a switch that is then connected back to the server. 2 of the computers can open and work in the project file with very little slow-down, opening in about 2 minutes. The 3rd computer takes upwards of 15 minutes to open the file and the workflow once it’s open is extremely slow.

We’ve changed the network cable, changed the computer, tried everything we can think of. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by UKN; November 22nd, 2019 at 07:08 PM.

Current Local Time
    03:09 PM

You changed the computer?
    So no matter which computer you plug into that network port, it is always the slowest?
    Is that one port a 100 instead of 1000 Mbit port maybe, or maybe just broken?
    Do you connect the computers directly into the switch or trough a wall socket?
    If so, maybe the cable in the wall is broken?

Or is it that every 3th computer is slow on the project, no matter if it is a workstation, laptop or if you open the project in different orders with different computers?

some weird question I know, but trying to figure out what it is you are doing and when the project is slow.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; November 22nd, 2019 at 07:34 PM.

Current Local Time

You changed the computer? Yes, we changed the computer out to a new one, that had the same amount of RAM, but better graphics and processor (albeit minimally better).

So no matter which computer you plug into that network port, it is always the slowest? Yes, it is always the slowest in that particular port.

Is that one port a 100 instead of 1000 Mbit port maybe, or maybe just broken? Not sure about this, whether the connection port is different from the remaining 2.

Do you connect the computers directly into the switch or trough a wall socket? All 3 computers connected directly to the switch, which is then connected directly to the wall socket.

If so, maybe the cable in the wall is broken? Thought of this, but the remaining 2 computers are doing fine. So it can’t be a connection from the server to the switch. Also is a brand new switch, so shouldn’t have issues at that connection.

Or is it that every 3th computer is slow on the project, no matter if it is a workstation, laptop or if you open the project in different orders with different computers? And it is always the same computer, even with no one else logging in or opening the file.

It's odd how it’s slower opening revit compared to the other 2, it’s slow in opening the file, and it’s slow in operating once the file is open, even basic commands like detail lines are taking a significant amount of time longer than the remaining 2 computers on the same connection.

Current Local Time
    03:09 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKN View Post
    So no matter which computer you plug into that network port, it is always the slowest? Yes, it is always the slowest in that particular port.
    This makes me think that port is broken

Do you connect the computers directly into the switch or trough a wall socket? All 3 computers connected directly to the switch, which is then connected directly to the wall socket.
    The interesting bit is that usually you have your computers plugged into a wall socked (so each one its own connection) and from there they go on 3 separate cables to a switch and from the switch with 1 (or more) cables to the server. What is happening on the other side of the cable in the wall? Does that go directly into the server or is there another switch there? Could it be that a switch on the other side is restricting stuff?

Or is it that every 3th computer is slow on the project, no matter if it is a workstation, laptop or if you open the project in different orders with different computers? And it is always the same computer, even with no one else logging in or opening the file.
    Above you mention it is always slow in a particular port and here you say it is always the same computer, which one is it, the same port for different computers or the same computer on different ports?

It's odd how it’s slower opening revit compared to the other 2, it’s slow in opening the file, and it’s slow in operating once the file is open, even basic commands like detail lines are taking a significant amount of time longer than the remaining 2 computers on the same connection.
    This reminds me of a problem I had a while ago, which had to do with a windows update and Revit not playing nice on my computer for some reason and there were only 1 or 2 with the same problem I could find. For me it was the 1809 windows update that was causing issues, so maybe check if that 3th one is running that (and the other computer you tried) and the other are either on a newer or older version. Run the 'winver' command when you click the start button in windows to find out. An update to 1903 solved the issue for me when that came out (so I skipped the 1809 all together)

Current Local Time

Was there ever a solution to this issue?

Current Local Time

Doesn't seem like it - I passed on all the info from this thread as I'm not in the same office. I know they're formatting the PC now since they've tried everything on the server end. Just weird that it happened to two different PC's on the same connection, so it might be the windows version issue.