Thread: NEED HELP -Dynamo, Get Element from Bool Node

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    12:10 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

NEED HELP -Dynamo, Get Element from Bool Node

Hi

I'm new to Dynamo, but eager to learn. Hoping this is a simple answer for someone out there.

Reference the attached document. I am using an area plan to develop unit types based on size. Some of the areas, I want to leave out of the calculation (in this example they would be the stairs and corridor). I can sort out the units that have a comment ("not calculated") from those that do not have a comment. What I want to do is take the items without comments and run them through the code block that breaks them down into their respective unit types. I think I need a node that outputs an element that connects between it and the bool mask.

I've been reading and youtubing a lot. However, I have not yet come across the right info to help me solve this problem.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    08:10 AM

Hey there and welcome to the forum and to dynamo!

Did a quick example for you:

In the end I would try to make a script where you won't need the "not calculated" in the comments, but instead try to filter out the areas with their name, to excluding areas with the name corridor and stairs for example, much less manual work as you fill in the name anyway.

I hope this help you on your way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filter areas.jpg  

3.    #3
    Current Local Time

Robin

Thanks for taking a look and providing a graphic. In the example you provided, what I would be hoping to do is take the (6) remaining areas and run them through the code block that identifies the area names based on size. For example if an area is greater than 1200 SF, it becomes a 3 bedroom unit, if it's between 1199 & 851 SF it's a 2 bedroom unit, and if it's between 850 and 650 SF it's a 1 bedroom unit. In the example you provided, what operator would I need to take the (6) items from the (out) of the bool mask node and plug it into the "Element.GetParameterValueByName" node that's just before the "RA" Code Block? shown in my example?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gf...V2QdGbXo-XXuf4

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    Hey there and welcome to the forum and to dynamo!

Did a quick example for you:

In the end I would try to make a script where you won't need the "not calculated" in the comments, but instead try to filter out the areas with their name, to excluding areas with the name corridor and stairs for example, much less manual work as you fill in the name anyway.

I hope this help you on your way.

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You can just plug the OUT from the FilterByBoolMAsk node into your code block as it returns the actual Area's. If you look at the numbers in green in both the All Elements of Category and the Watch node that is connected the the OUT port, they are the same elements (minus 1, which is the corridor). You also connect that port to the Element.SetParameterByName node to have it fill in the data.

5.    #5
    Current Local Time

Robin

BIG THANKS! And, I learned a great deal working through this exercise!

This does exactly what I was hoping it would do! Subtle differences made it all happen.

For anyone who wants to see what I was driving to, links to my Dynamo file and Revit file are below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sk...LSxPTk6dEY_uUN

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Oz...hqbPpx9VUGPAlc

Thanks again Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    You can just plug the OUT from the FilterByBoolMAsk node into your code block as it returns the actual Area's. If you look at the numbers in green in both the All Elements of Category and the Watch node that is connected the the OUT port, they are the same elements (minus 1, which is the corridor). You also connect that port to the Element.SetParameterByName node to have it fill in the data.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

No problem and happy your learned something.

I remember being flustered by all sorts of stuff in Dynamo, but now, even though I'm nowhere near as good as most of the guys out where, I can put together a list and filter on all sorts of things without much thought, that script I posted used to take me a long time, now I just know what to do, so I guess I'm on my way to being a bit better as well.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    12:40 PM

Hello,

Glad to find someone who is eager to learn. Kudos for that!!

Your approach to the problem is pretty much on point. The only correction I would suggest is, reconnect the list of element as per below attached screenshot (Marked in Blue).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	37946