Thread: IFC color for material not working for floors that are cut

Current Local Time
    07:55 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

IFC color for material not working for floors that are cut

Hey!
    I was hoping to get some help with an issue that has been bothering me for a while. We have an issue with floors that are being cut (and only when they are cut somehow, by usingshaft or edit boundary) loses its color override in the IFC-format. We control the color by applying a material to the floor.

The color is needed for illustrating fire sectioning between levels and for collision checking (e.g. MEP and fire)

I have placed a solid fill in all categories, including Shading, Surface Pattern (foreground+background), Cut Pattern (foreground+background), Appearance of the material but that doesn't work.

I use the Revit 2020 IFC plugin.

I have used all kinds of different export settings in the IFC modifier. I have used filters for the override. I have no phases. I have no "master override" or override graphics in view.

The problem only occurs when the floor is cut. And it resolves itself, kind of, in Navisworks but not the other IFC-readers (Tekla BIMsight, BIMvision, Solibri) I have tried.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor in Revit.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	37947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor_ifc viewer.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	37948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor_navisworks.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	37949

Has anybody experienced this? I am very thankful for all kinds of ideas, I have tried a lot of different things but I may have missed something

Current Local Time
    09:55 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I could reproduce your error, and I think it's a limitation in the viewers, not in revit. Otherways navisworks wouldn't display it correctly, all viewers are reading the same data, how would navisworks now, if it wasn't in the data?
    Ifc file is just a text file, so you can open it with any text editor, and you can see most of the data for the floors are similar, they should appear similar. Maybe contact one of the developer of the viewers.

Current Local Time

Hey, sorry for my delayed response. I have been in contact with the developers and they all pointed towards Revit becuase the #xxx= IFCCOLOURRGB($,1.,0.,0.); is being manipulated in the floors that are being cut. So I took my case to Autodesk to see if there was any solution there and we found the solution, the template must be corrupt somehow. When I start a new Revit project with the <None> template, the problem gets fixed.

So my question to you infeeee; what template do you use? I use one that is based off of Naviates standard Architectural template. I wonder if that is the issue

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by infeeeee View Post
    I could reproduce your error, and I think it's a limitation in the viewers, not in revit. Otherways navisworks wouldn't display it correctly, all viewers are reading the same data, how would navisworks now, if it wasn't in the data?
    Ifc file is just a text file, so you can open it with any text editor, and you can see most of the data for the floors are similar, they should appear similar. Maybe contact one of the developer of the viewers.
    We have now solved this error. It is not a limitation in the viewers, it is related to materials. When I create a new file with the <None>-template and create new materials from scratch, the problem goes away. What is annoying me is that even though everything looks fine inside of Revit, the color gets lost in the IFC-export, it creates a new row with IFCCOLOURRGB($xx,xx.,xx.); for the floors that are being cut, which is strange. Somehow this is related to the material and the cut of the material even though the color is applied on all places where you can place a color. It may be an error in Revit, the IFC-exporter or our template but it is solved now by switching our starting template to the new one

Current Local Time
    02:55 AM

I wonder if your old template was created before version 2019?
    2019 added the double pattern foreground/background capability. Perhaps something got messed up in the upgrade?
    I know we had a lot of patterns we had to clean up and add a background pattern to.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I wonder if your old template was created before version 2019?
    2019 added the double pattern foreground/background capability. Perhaps something got messed up in the upgrade?
    I know we had a lot of patterns we had to clean up and add a background pattern to.
    Could be that for sure. I used the Naviate add-in template and that could definitely be an upgraded template from an earlier version. It took me quite a while to figure out, I thought it was export-related and not material related.

Regards