Thread: Keyed and General Notes on sheet

Current Local Time
    02:42 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Keyed and General Notes on sheet

Iĺm looking for a way to automate our MEP keynote legend that appears on sheets, or at least make the process less time consuming.

We are currently manually copying our user keynote annotation symbol down for each keynote in the ôlegendö, which is just text. We also have a General Notes section that we do the same thing except the numbering is text instead of the keynote annotation symbol. This is accomplished with numerous pieces of text, lines, and our copied user keynote symbol.

The desired end result can be seen in the attached graphic.

Is there an easier way to accomplish this in Revit? Dynamo?? Please note that the formatting must remain as shown to match company standards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keyed notes.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	37950  

Current Local Time
    01:42 AM

I created a schedule for the key notes and then copy the symbol (a hexagon) to the top of the table.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hex.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	829 Bytes 
ID:	37963

Current Local Time
    09:42 AM

Could you achieve this with a Detail group? Then you can copy and paste the detail group to any sheet you want in the same position as the copied one.

Current Local Time
    01:42 AM

I just use note blocks for this. For General notes I have a symbol family that we place in a separate detail view. For the keyed notes I have a symbol family that I place in the specific views and that is symbolically correct (i.e. a triangle with a number in it). Both families have the same parameters: "note filter", "note number", and "note text".

Obviously by using note blocks you won't be able to have the special key note symbol in the block itself, but I considered this not very much of an issue. Also with this method you get the advantage of having the symbol for the keyed notes in the view itself were it is much less likely to go "missing" and you can centrally manage all of your notes through a schedule.

Current Local Time
    04:42 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    We've gone around and around with this at my company. I've pushed everyone on our Mechanical side to use Note Blocks, but even after several years there are people who don't get how it works. Every new hire fumbles with it. Our electrical people didn't like it all and are still using a Generic Annotation family for each line, which has to be shifted up/down as they make edits.

The biggest issue are the stupid #$%&@ circles. The standard is for that circle to appear around every number in the block of notes. So we have to manually place circles over top of the Note Block schedule. Of course, as notes are edited, added, deleted, etc, these circles will no loner be aligned.

Name:	bubble notes.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	38403

I tried to sneak in a change to this standard, where I would put a custom character (a # with a circle around it) in the header and let the numbers in the Note Block just be naked. Revit-using architects that we work with do this so I hoped it would fly here. It did not go over well. Management wants their circles and doesn't care if we have to spend time manually placing them.

Name:	bubble notes2.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	38404
    Last edited by Necro99; February 20th, 2020 at 02:50 PM.

Current Local Time
    02:42 AM

We just use the single identifier symbol at the top of the schedule.

It would take some experimentation to get the spacing right, but you might be able to use a double schedule, with the circle being provided by a unicode character or image file. Since keynote schedules can display parameters in project you can add a parameter there to hold the circle info. It might take two - one to force the row size in the schedule with information, and a second to underlay with the circle? While it would take some setup, once you figured it out you wouldn't have to manually add the circles.

I haven't looked at how easily Dynamo works with schedules, but that might be another route to skip manual placement.

Current Local Time
    03:42 AM

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk View Post
    We just use the single identifier symbol at the top of the schedule.
    This.

And if someone says *it isnt good enough for the company standard* tell them they need to (seriously) get over it (or themselves). Lets suppose hypothetically, that you COULD automate it with Dynamo... Its not adding any value, and its CERTAINLY adding more work, because any time someone changes a note such that the spacing of the schedule changes, it has to get updated.

If someone really IGNORES the note because the circle or hexagon isnt copied 8 times, im dumbfounded how they have survived in the real world.

Current Local Time
    04:42 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    This.

And if someone says *it isnt good enough for the company standard* tell them they need to (seriously) get over it (or themselves). Lets suppose hypothetically, that you COULD automate it with Dynamo... Its not adding any value, and its CERTAINLY adding more work, because any time someone changes a note such that the spacing of the schedule changes, it has to get updated.

If someone really IGNORES the note because the circle or hexagon isnt copied 8 times, im dumbfounded how they have survived in the real world.
    That was basically my argument: "They're dumb circles... WHO GIVES A F---?" The response was "That's our standard." We have other departments who do industrial and plant design, and they're using AutoCAD or Plant3D. They draw the bubbles, so we have to draw the bubbles, because bubbles are important dammit.

What I've taken to doing is simply waiting until the day the project goes out to place all of those stupid circles. I looked into creating my own custom unicode characters but I ran into a few issues with that.

Current Local Time
    03:42 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Necro99 View Post
    That was basically my argument: "They're dumb circles... WHO GIVES A F---?" The response was "That's our standard." We have other departments who do industrial and plant design, and they're using AutoCAD or Plant3D. They draw the bubbles, so we have to draw the bubbles, because bubbles are important dammit.

What I've taken to doing is simply waiting until the day the project goes out to place all of those stupid circles. I looked into creating my own custom unicode characters but I ran into a few issues with that.
    Thats brutal. I feel for you (seriously).