Thread: Level change - Details all need shifting

1.    #1
    Current Local Time
    01:47 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Level change - Details all need shifting

Hi all,

When there is a level adjustment late in detailed design is there a fast way of adjusting the position of details components in the details?

I'm finding line based detailed components shift with the new position of the callout, all other detail components remain as floating in the wrong location. I was hoping these would also shift with the shifting of the callout, but looks like that is not the case.

maybe I am going about it wrong. is it better to stretch the callout maybe?

2.    #2
    Current Local Time
    05:47 AM

One of the challenges with pseudo live details, for sure.

I haven't licked this yet either but I'd try grouping the detail elements and align/locking them to the underlying datum elements and/or geometry. These kinds of constraints tend to break fairly easily so be sure to constrain to Named/Strong Reference Planes of your Detail Items where possible. And do expect some performance degradation if you do this a lot (which is one reason to constrain the Detail Group -- it should help here) as you're increasing the number of things Revit has to change when things move.

At some point, there's a break-even in terms of the time spent doing each. I suspect that given how rarely levels change height that late in the game it's better in the long run to just deal with the changes you're talking about and move them all manually.

3.    #3
    Current Local Time
    07:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    One of the challenges with pseudo live details, for sure.

I haven't licked this yet either but I'd try grouping the detail elements and align/locking them to the underlying datum elements and/or geometry. These kinds of constraints tend to break fairly easily so be sure to constrain to Named/Strong Reference Planes of your Detail Items where possible. And do expect some performance degradation if you do this a lot (which is one reason to constrain the Detail Group -- it should help here) as you're increasing the number of things Revit has to change when things move.
    Line based components don't behave well in groups, especially when the group is placed in a different orientation (East/West vs North/South)

4.    #4
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Line based components don't behave well in groups, especially when the group is placed in a different orientation (East/West vs North/South)
    Good point.

I've been slowly migrating away from Line Based families. They used to be my favorite!

5.    #5
    Current Local Time
    06:47 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 411toaster View Post
    Hi all,

When there is a level adjustment late in detailed design is there a fast way of adjusting the position of details components in the details?

I'm finding line based detailed components shift with the new position of the callout, all other detail components remain as floating in the wrong location. I was hoping these would also shift with the shifting of the callout, but looks like that is not the case.

maybe I am going about it wrong. is it better to stretch the callout maybe?
    One thing im confused about, is you are asking about a Level Change, but a level change wouldnt make the detail move in Plan. Is the detail ALSO getting relocated in Plan?

If so, one thing thats pretty easy to do is to *temporarily* just uncrop the detail. All the old drafted stuff is stil lin the original place, and you can just use the move command on it to put it back in the right spot. Even the Edit Cut Profiles will heal themselves, when you do it. Takes like, fifteen seconds.

I get asked this all the time, by people who are opponents of Live Detail modeling. They tell me "well when the building changes suddenly at the last minute, our details are jacked up." And that is completely true. Its the one downside to live details. But IMNSHO, the building changing drastically, so late in the game that details dont have time to react, is a sign of a.... suspect design process.

6.    #6
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    But IMNSHO, the building changing drastically, so late in the game that details dont have time to react, is a sign of a.... suspect design process.
    Amen to that.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    07:47 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    I've been slowly migrating away from Line Based families. They used to be my favorite!
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    One thing im confused about, is you are asking about a Level Change, but a level change wouldnt make the detail move in Plan. Is the detail ALSO getting relocated in Plan?

I get asked this all the time, by people who are opponents of Live Detail modeling. They tell me "well when the building changes suddenly at the last minute, our details are jacked up." And that is completely true. Its the one downside to live details.
    I was assuming section details, which would not adjust when the heights change.

I would say that is a benefit of having a Live Detail. The building has changed, your details should change with it. If it gets taller, you need more insulation, more exterior materials, potentially the addition of relieving angles for masonry, etc. The drawback is having to go through a bunch of sections to shift stuff up/down, but that makes for a good QA session IMO.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Yeah

I was assuming section details, which would not adjust when the heights change.

I would say that is a benefit of having a Live Detail. The building has changed, your details should change with it. If it gets taller, you need more insulation, more exterior materials, potentially the addition of relieving angles for masonry, etc. The drawback is having to go through a bunch of sections to shift stuff up/down, but that makes for a good QA session IMO.
    Yeah, 100% agreed. Thats what i was getting at, but i explained it much less eloquently. Your description FTW.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Section details always act wonky when my building elevations change. Some components will move and others will not. Sometimes text will move, and other times not. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason as to what detail components move or do not move.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

I'd guess it's Revit's auto-constraining some elements better than others. Straight up text shouldn't be moving (unless it does and I never noticed) but some (most/all?) will move with their associated geometry -- particularly, I think, if the leaders is Attached.